real time web analytics
General - - Harperbury Asylum Re-Visited, January 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Harperbury Asylum Re-Visited, January 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

britainsdecays

Banned
Banned
Last year we explored what we could of the mostly demolished Harperbury Asylum. At the time there was a building that intrigued us but was completely closed off and we couldn't get in. Well, we re-visted today and it was all opened up. A few photos from that building below... the full explore information, video and photos are on our website here: http://www.britainsdecays.com/harpe...erbury-mental-asylum-sits-abandoned-decaying/

This is our original explore video:

upload_2018-1-31_14-45-45.gif

britainsdecays

Banned
Banned
It’s never been an Asylum
What do you mean? Harperbury was a psychiatric hospital in the early 1900s, they used to call them asylums back then. So it's always been an asylum, mental hospital or psychiatric hospital, chose whichever you like they are all terms for the same kind of establishment.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
What do you mean? Harperbury was a psychiatric hospital in the early 1900s, they used to call them asylums back then. So it's always been an asylum, mental hospital or psychiatric hospital, chose whichever you like they are all terms for the same kind of establishment.

ooooooooooooo. *tsk tsk*. It's a mental health and learning disability site.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

I reckon I should probably have done some research on the subject. How silly of me.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

By the same rule Runwell, Whitchurch or Cefn ever used the asylum tag but they were all part of the County Asylum act - ie they were built to care for their own in the distrct/county or in the case of Cefn it originally was planned to be Swansea/Merthyr Asylum but they took too long and by the late 1920s/early 1930s they had dropped the Asylum reference. Barrow was an overflow for Bristol County Asylum that was full and thus originally planned as a part of the act.

In the case of Harperbury it was only opened in 1934 and began life as Middlesex Colony for Mental Deficients, then Harperbury Hospital from 1949 till closure. But still call it an asylum or better still m***tal asylum to get me fully triggered :p

britainsdecays

Banned
Banned
Not using it as an insult mate the guy said I was “triggering” him just because I used the word Asylum. Not “triggering” anyone I’m sick of hearing that word when someone says something people don’t like, there was no intention to offend anyone by saying asylum it’s a real word that used to be used for these places back in the day. Perhaps I could be mistaken but the replies sounded like the guy was getting really offended by a word.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Not using it as an insult mate the guy said I was “triggering” him just because I used the word Asylum. Not “triggering” anyone I’m sick of hearing that word when someone says something people don’t like, there was no intention to offend anyone by saying asylum it’s a real word that used to be used for these places back in the day. Perhaps I could be mistaken but the replies sounded like the guy was getting really offended by a word.

The triggering reference was to Clebby who I joke about Barrow many times. Not yourself.

I’m not a left wing sjw or whatever you think I am. I’m just stating the fact it was never called an asylum - it opened in 1934 and was a Colony in its first instance and then just a hospital. I’m just tired of people calling places an asylum when they weren’t. Still this isn’t the worst as I think referring St Joes orphanage as Preston M**tal Asylum is perhaps the worst of all time!

britainsdecays

Banned
Banned
@tumbles then I sincerely apologise for my comment. I think we just have mixed opinions on the asylum word, the dictoilnary definition of the word relates to the same thing as a phychatric hospital and back then they were called asylums. It’s not written that way to be offensive but feel it’s appropriate for this place. @Els social justice warrior - it’s a political discussion and perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned it on this thread.

Molly-Rose

28DL Member
28DL Member
Where abouts is this on site? I went there last week and as you go in on the site the whole left row has been demolished. I wanted to go and see some more before it completely does get demolished but the only buildings I can ever access without geting caught by security are 3 'houses' completely wrecked not even worth visiting.