Web
Analytics
Information - - Harriet Hicks House, Cornwall. Not abandoned! | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Harriet Hicks House, Cornwall. Not abandoned!

Ordinary-Walrus776

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's an "abandoned" house in Cornwall of British author, Harriet Hicks. Recently went viral after the YouTuber sold his visit to a news agency, and the story went viral such as on The Daily Mail, Metro and Cornwall Live. However, I visited the area today and spoke to the actual landowners. I can confirm, the house isn't abandoned!

The wires that can be seen going from the meter and up the lane is to their house - they had it all properly done by the electric company and pay for what they use. Their house is off-grid so having mains power is very useful in the winter months. However, them having the wires there, restricts them from shutting the door.

The person who was living in the house, was living in a care home until only recent months ago where the person sadly passed away. The house, belongings, etc were left in the will to the owners further up the lane. And are very much aware of people visiting the house. They're worried about boarding up the doors in case the windows are then smashed (one window has been smashed recently!) and of course they don't want anything stolen whilst they (I've also offered my help) to look for any relatives as the persons' entire life is inside that house - even thought the majority of explorers are respectful, we all know that some aren't. In the bedroom on the mirror is written 'I love coke'.

I've offered to help them after learning more about the history of the house, and the landowners. They're currently looking into surveillance for the property, and to be sealing the property shut. All the books aren't forgotten about and they're saddened to find that each time they visit the property, that books are taken - or even - newspaper articles are taken! I said I would post an update online after news articles have gone up, explaining that it's not abandoned and for people not to visit the property.

I'm sure if you've done your research and know where it is. If you head up the top of the lane and speak to the land owners, I'm sure they'd give you permission to have a look around as long as you're respectful.

Scoobysrt

-- .- -.. . -.-- --- ..- .-.. --- --- -.-
28DL Full Member
I feel if the new owners really cared it would/could/should be sorted by now.

Ordinary-Walrus776

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I feel if the new owners really cared it would/could/should be sorted by now.
I somewhat agree, however, despite them being landowners, they didn't inherit the belongings until only recently when they were left in the will to them. However, I'm sure they've had their reasons, or just didn't expect for people to find it - as it's not on a footpath, etc.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If they/ you are that bothered the first thing they may want to do is get it removed from "Cornwall Live" site rather than worry about people on here.
Anyone who does a simple search will find this article immediately & it suggests it is abandoned therefore people will try to visit

Ordinary-Walrus776

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If they/ you are that bothered the first thing they may want to do is get it removed from "Cornwall Live" site rather than worry about people on here.
Anyone who does a simple search will find this article immediately & it suggests it is abandoned therefore people will try to visit
It's gone out to many many publications, removing it from CL etc isn't an option. However, I posted here in hopes for when people Google, this would show up to explain that it is not abandoned.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
It's gone out to many many publications, removing it from CL etc isn't an option. However, I posted here in hopes for when people Google, this would show up to explain that it is not abandoned.
Why isn't it an option? Articles get edited and removed all the time especially if it's causing distress to people.