real time web analytics
Report - - Harrop Brook Culverts - Bollington - Feb 15 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harrop Brook Culverts - Bollington - Feb 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Harrop Brook - Bollington

Following on from an earlier dip in the brook, JM Rodwell had rekindled my interest in this
small section of river, and as I was passing by anyway, I thought I may as well wet the
waders, and It was well worth the effort.

Harrop Book is a tributary of the River Dean in Bollington, and this part meanders
downstream from a small weir towards Bollington recreation grounds, passing through a
number of small tunnels and bridges, as well as numerous well kept back gardens and
summer houses along the way.

I took the difficult option and headed up-stream, attempting not to break my ankles or
take my customary dip :rolleyes:

1-DSC_0006_zpszmjknfnt.jpg

The first culvert known locally as 'the rat tunnel' fairly shallow but with evil craters

1-DSC_0010_zps8v3wryzs.jpg

Looking back towards Bollington recreation grounds and some rather nice brickwork

1-DSC_0014_zpsmgzknxi8.jpg

1-DSC_0017_zps0gclg1tq.jpg

Out of the rat tunnel and under the first bridge as it becomes a bit more un-even

1-DSC_0029_zpsrcovn7ob.jpg

moving upstream and passing under another small bridge directly under the main road

1-DSC_0040_zpsm8wlg8iq.jpg

I was rather excited to find a fast flowing run-off coming from a large concrete and
steel girder reinforced box section, partially hidden behind a wall of greenery

1-DSC_0046_zpszrm3nlpy.jpg

1-DSC_0052_zpscuczsxct.jpg

Nice and shallow, and a great sound as the water rushed downstream towards town

1-DSC_0058_zpsvn6hnidq.jpg

Now this felt more like proper 'drain' territory with some aging looking brickwork

1-DSC_0059_zpsqpt4lcrg.jpg

1-DSC_0061_zpsdajzvuwa.jpg

this section reminds me of Hyde Falls, it's full of massive pot-holes just ready to swallow
all your gear, and is a real ankle breaker of a slog

1-DSC_0077_zpsgsa78ta2.jpg

1-DSC_0066_zpsxmj0zyko.jpg

1-DSC_0076_zpsyciicfnc.jpg

Moving upstream and into the last of the small culverts and towards what sounds like a roar

1-DSC_0073_zpsnvgdgvio.jpg

Which turns out to be this small waterfall from the weir above, and that's as far as I went...

Thanks for looking :thumb

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
thats proper nice, love the waterfall at the end :) My feet are killing me just looking at all that rubble in the water!

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Is this Bollington near Macclesfield? If so, wish I'd have clocked this before I stayed there at the weekend, would've packed the waders.

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Is this Bollington near Macclesfield? If so, wish I'd have clocked this before I stayed there at the weekend, would've packed the waders.

Certainly is Tweek, there's a few decent bits and pieces to go at round there, none of it's hardcore drainz..but well worth a paddle nonetheless :thumb

ales1000

28DL Member
28DL Member
Harrop Brook actually runs behind my house in Bollington, there is a 8ft drop from my garden wall into it. There are no entry and exit points for a good half mile either way.

Only EVER attempt this after a period of dry weather. This is a thin stream that has breached my garden 8ft higher after an extremely heavy continued rainfall.

Keep safe folks!