real time web analytics
Report - - Hartford mill oldham, august 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hartford mill oldham, august 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
Built 1907 by the Hartford Mill (Oldham)Co Ltd. Extended 1920 and 1924. Closed 1959 and used by Littlewoods as a mail order warehouse until 1992. Architect was F W Dixon, there were 120,000 spindles and power was provided by a very impressive 1500 hp Urmson & Thompson engine THIS SEEMS TO BE ALL THE HISTORY I CAN FIND APART FROM THE FACT THAT IT CONTINUED TO PRODUCE COTTON INTO THE 60S NOT THE FIFTIES AS ITS BEEN SAID .

THE REPORT
Initially we wernt here for Hartford mill we came for Durban mill me @LancashireExplorations, @godgp78 and @CrazyNinjaSquirrel the demolition is due to start this week but alas it was full of active cctv all the access was sealed up and there wer secca floating about , so Hartford mill what a piece of crap ive never been so uneasy about an explore as I was in here.
Every step I took I expected to be my last :confused:the floors are collapsing the cracks in the walls that run from the ground right to the top, four floors up and the countless fires no doubt making the structure unstable.
Anyway we pressed on got the piks we wanted and made a quick exit round the back to get the chimney and wheel house for the nice tiles, missed the engine house:banghead but I guess ill never get to see it now as this too was earmarked for demo this week and im not surprised , god does it need it.:(

on with the piks....
DSC_2111.JPG

DSC_2070.JPG
DSC_2073.JPG
DSC_2080.JPG
DSC_2084.JPG
DSC_2086.JPG
DSC_2094.JPG
DSC_2101.JPG
DSC_2103.JPG
DSC_2114.JPG
DSC_2115.JPG
DSC_2119.JPG
DSC_2123.JPG
DSC_2124.JPG

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was here myself recently and the floors felt pretty solid to me. And being on the roof is the best part of it!

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Now if it had been a Yorkshire lad; they have balls :D

It is a bit daunting, but there is also a back door to the roof.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That ropey looking iron staircase going up from the wheel house goes right to the roof... you do need long legs and monkey like agility at the top though :D

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
That ropey looking iron staircase going up from the wheel house goes right to the roof... you do need long legs and monkey like agility at the top though :D
no good for me then 5ft 4 and a fag paper lol really wanted the engine house tho but cant get down to it and there was nothing to use to climb the wall with

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Access does change, surprised you couldn't manufacture a stairway to the boiler room from all the detritus kicking around near it. Presume the diagonal steel beam still leads to the roof?

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
Access does change, surprised you couldn't manufacture a stairway to the boiler room from all the detritus kicking around near it. Presume the diagonal steel beam still leads to the roof?
yeh it was still there up to the roof pal but I didn't want to risk it to be honest haha I didn't have the minerals

goingunder

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ahh no way, I've passed this place hundreds of times on the way in to Oldham - never really considered it because of how wrecked it looks when passing by. Looks like a decent explore though now, might have to pay a visit, s'only 5 minutes away.

Lancashire lad

28DL Full Member
Ahh no way, I've passed this place hundreds of times on the way in to Oldham - never really considered it because of how wrecked it looks when passing by. Looks like a decent explore though now, might have to pay a visit, s'only 5 minutes away.
better be quick pal, there was a chap putting notices up saying demo starts this week

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hmmm i'm a bit confused here. Is Hartford up for demo ? also you say you missed the engine house, the very large empty tiled building is whats left of it…best pay may last respects this week then.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Coming down very soon by all accounts, as is bits of W H Shaws if they don't get burnt down in the mean time.

OMBC saving their heritage or possibly another brown envelope from Wiggetts Construction :rolleyes: