real time web analytics
Report - - Harvington Watermill -Wostershire - June 20 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harvington Watermill -Wostershire - June 20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was graciously handed this one by a non member friend to check out while out with my lad & though not much there its a rather photogenic place.

50080384176_77381c140b_b.jpg

It is a typical grade 2 listed water powered corn mill with not a lot left inside.
Built Circa 1800, & the machinery was replaced later in C19.
Its construction is of English garden wall bond red brick. Slate roof with gabled ends and brick dentil eaves; the taller main block has been reclad in
corrugated sheet steel.
It has a Rectangular plan with undershot waterwheel at the west end and by-pass through the east end of the mill; the east end appears to have been extended meaning the second wheel is now in the centre of the mill
An extension on the north front of the main block has been demolished
Main block has 3-storeys, all of which are now gone aside from some very sketchey beams on first floor 3 bays, centre loading doors on ground and first floors and flanking
windows, all with cambered arches; second floor windows in gable ends;
2-storey and attic range on left east has cambered archway through and gabled hoist housing in roof Large iron and wood undershot waterwheel on west end.
some but not much of the later C19 machinery is intact, including the primary gearing.

50080634102_1c00a8b0f5_b.jpg

The West gable wheel being reclaimed back by nature

50079804788_1289f205ea_b.jpg

Some of the primary gearing

50079805498_b13438a397_b.jpg

50080638057_619cd3898b_b.jpg

Looking down on the East wheel (now centre of the mill)

View into the East rooms

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50080636837_226548d956_b.jpg

Pulleys & Millstones remain

[ATTACH=full]1000153[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1000154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1000155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1000156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1000157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1000158[/ATTACH]

Across from the mill is this rather unusual poly tunnel dry dock with its own lock gate!

[ATTACH=full]1000159[/ATTACH][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited:

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's nice - quite a lot left really.
Incidentally its Harvington not Havington and a couple of the links for the east section need fixing.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
As always very nicely captured mate ! A true gem, can’t beat a old mill for above ground stuff they hold their history well

Pieman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've only just seen this - I remember when I was about five years old, my grandparents (RIP) had a caravan on a site near this place and I went for walks with them and my parents all round there. I remember having quite a close look at the outside of the mill and my dad telling me that someone had bought it and put a new corrugated iron roof on part of it as the beginning of a restoration of it, and I remember wanting to see it working as a watermill again. Clearly said restoration didn't happen - and that was around 30 years ago.

I Googled this place today wondering if anyone had ever restored it or if it was still there - while part of me is disappointed to see it still sitting derelict, the rest of me is quite pleased that it still is, a sleeping monument to a byegone age. Thankyou for a nice report and photos, evoking a memory of my childhood.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've only just seen this - I remember when I was about five years old, my grandparents (RIP) had a caravan on a site near this place and I went for walks with them and my parents all round there. I remember having quite a close look at the outside of the mill and my dad telling me that someone had bought it and put a new corrugated iron roof on part of it as the beginning of a restoration of it, and I remember wanting to see it working as a watermill again. Clearly said restoration didn't happen - and that was around 30 years ago.

I Googled this place today wondering if anyone had ever restored it or if it was still there - while part of me is disappointed to see it still sitting derelict, the rest of me is quite pleased that it still is, a sleeping monument to a byegone age. Thankyou for a nice report and photos, evoking a memory of my childhood.

Always great when you stumble acros a place that has childhood memories.
The place is listed but as is often the way it looks like noone can afford the upkeep. Unfortunately it is in a pretty bad way now so who knows if it will survive.

Who has read this thread (Total: 155) View details