real time web analytics
Report - - Harworth Colliery Headstocks - September 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harworth Colliery Headstocks - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Miss.Industrial

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Dave and Myself have been visiting Harworth since about 2007 generally stopping off on our way elsewhere. For most of that time its mothballed status had meant that the heapstead was always either well used or well secured.

Most of coal prep was demolished a few years back and the original baths and offices went around the same time. The most substantial buildings remaining are the Headstocks, Power house and the winding houses.

The amount of maintenance on the shafts and amount of activity on site has steadily been declining as the fortunes of UK Coal continued to worsen. Following the fire at Daw Mill UK coal went into administration and it seems that since then Harworth has been more or less abandoned.

I've elected to put this in non public as the shafts are uncapped, there are PIR's in both headstocks and audio warning messages and it wouldn't take much effort to secure the site again making any return visit much harder. I would imagine that control of the site will pass to the Coal Authority at some point in the near future which may well make things much harder here.

The headstocks at Harworth are the Most modern in the UK, the Concrete Upcast shaft was completed in 1989 and it is currently the tallest headstock in the UK. The downcast is the only head frame to be built since privatisation.

Theres lots more to be seen here I was let down by only having a small head torch for lighting so the photos are limited to the areas of the site I was able to light!

Photos are A joint effort between Dave and Myself.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Same as usual, you guys beat everyone else up there, getting used to that now. Nice work Dave and Joe, as always.

Miss.Industrial

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It seems that the picture has changed quite a bit at Harworth in the last few months, Form a situation where the site seemed deserted the clearance work seems to have really been stepped up. As speed covered in his report the downcast headstock is now long gone but there is still plenty of other stuff to see...

My earlier post provided a decent overview so when we went back on a recent revisit I spent some time photographing the little details that in the rush of our first visit I'd not photographed first time round. I'm taking them on here as I'm not sure they really need a new thread.

There's still a few bits and pieces that remain unseen here particularly some of the smaller buildings around the site, I think there is one adjacent to the headstock that is likely to house the upcast winder control cabin. There were a number of smaller control panels located on different levels used to run the headstock for testing.

Old Entrance:

33.jpg

Powerhouse Doors:

34.jpg

Steam winder Converted to electric in the 1980's replaced by the new winder in 1997

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

The riveted construction of the winding drum and the geared reduction to slow the cages at the top / bottom

40.jpg

41.jpg

Downcast winder remains.

42.jpg

I think the winder control cabin will be in the building on the right.

43.jpg

44.jpg

Upcast,

45a.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

Spare skips,

49.jpg

Shaftside:

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

Winder override control panel,

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Air Lock Doors

58.jpg

59.jpg

Rope handling Level

60.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

A few more form the Winder level,

65.jpg

66.jpg

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'm still surprised more people haven't attempted this, very little demolition work has gone ahead since my January visit (Passed today in the car)

Excellent report by the way, images are top and you got a hell of a lot more covered than myself! :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I'm still surprised more people haven't attempted this, very little demolition work has gone ahead since my January visit (Passed today in the car)

Doesn't surprise me in the least. If there isn't a manor in the name, a door wide open and a marker on the Google map you can eliminate 90% of the people on the first pass.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Doesn't surprise me in the least. If there isn't a manor in the name, a door wide open and a marker on the Google map you can eliminate 90% of the people on the first pass.

Well that's true I guess! :(

Shame though, would be nice to see a few other people's take's on it...