real time web analytics
Report - - Hatfield Colliery, Doncaster - March 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hatfield Colliery, Doncaster - March 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

nathaniela44

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some history of the site:

The colliery opened in 1916. The pit was stopped in 2001, and restarted 2007; the mine passed through a number of different owners in the early part of the 21st century, with subsequent operators entering receivership. During the same period the site was proposed as the location for high-technology coal burning power stations schemes which did not proceed.

Hatfield was mothballed by British Coal in 1993 prior to privatisation (salvage completed March 1994) and was bought by a company put together by the last BC manager - Jeff Ainsley. The company was called Hatfield Coal Co Ltd. This ran for several years and was a genuinely nice bunch of people. However, economics caught up with it and it went bust in 2001. It was used in the film Brassed Off during this period.

Richard Budge got ejected from RJB Mining round about the same time and decided to buy Hatfield, using a company he controlled named Coalpower. This fell over in 2004 and he then went on to put a second company together, Powerfuel. This was supposed to float on the stock exchange but never got away and in 2006 he brought in the Russians. They have put in a lot of new money which has been used to re-develop access to the Barnsley seam, some way below the High Hazels which was the last seam worked by British Coal and Hatfield Coal Co.

The explore - if you can really call it that:

Well aware there was security on site here we thought it worth a look around anyway, after a nice walk over a small hill to get here (which provided stunning views in every direction!) we made our way down the other side to the buildings. Everything here was fenced off (albeit not very well) but there was security with dogs to stop people looking inside anything.
A stunning place though especially in the late afternoon light when we were there. I was the first down to look around and went around the side of the fence taking pictures while some of the rest of our group climbed straight in through the fence and then straight out again after the securitys Alsatians started barking. I took a few more pictures and wandered back, stopped briefly to chat with the guard who said he is fine with people looking around and taking pictures from outside the fence, just not to come inside or go near the buildings!
He did have a very cute Alsatian puppy with him too who was loving all the activity!

The walk back to the car provided some incredible views just after sunset over to Drax with the cooling towers seeming to create the clouds across the skyline!

Some pictures: (Apologies for phone camera / late afternoon light if they are a bit grainy!)

Last edited:

caiman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's a good write-up and some interesting pics.

I went underground at Hatfield a couple of times - once in 1994 with Jeff Ainley (as far as I recall not Ainsley) during the mothballed period while he was preparing his bid and the second time when it was working under the Hatfield Coal Co when it was being re-equipped with some second-hand German longwall gear.

After Budge it ended up being owned by ING Bank after another operator went bust. Around that time the waste tip failed and destroyed the passing railway line.

I cannot think of another pit that had such an astonishing history. It ended up as being almost the last still in production. I think only about two or three others beat it.

Donny urbex

28DL Member
28DL Member

The colliery opened in 1916. The pit was stopped in 2001, and restarted 2007; the mine passed through a number of different owners in the early part of the 21st century, with subsequent operators entering receivership. During the same period the site was proposed as the location for high-technology coal burning power stations schemes which did not proceed.

Hatfield was mothballed by British Coal in 1993 prior to privatisation (salvage completed March 1994) and was bought by a company put together by the last BC manager - Jeff Ainsley. The company was called Hatfield Coal Co Ltd. This ran for several years and was a genuinely nice bunch of people. However, economics caught up with it and it went bust in 2001. It was used in the film Brassed Off during this period.

Richard Budge got ejected from RJB Mining round about the same time and decided to buy Hatfield, using a company he controlled named Coalpower. This fell over in 2004 and he then went on to put a second company together, Powerfuel. This was supposed to float on the stock exchange but never got away and in 2006 he brought in the Russians. They have put in a lot of new money which has been used to re-develop access to the Barnsley seam, some way below the High Hazels which was the last seam worked by British Coal and Hatfield Coal Co.

Well aware there was security on site here we thought it worth a look around anyway, after a nice walk over a small hill to get here (which provided stunning views in every direction!) we made our way down the other side to the buildings. Everything here was fenced off (albeit not very well) but there was security with dogs to stop people looking inside anything.
A stunning place though especially in the late afternoon light when we were there. I was the first down to look around and went around the side of the fence taking pictures while some of the rest of our group climbed straight in through the fence and then straight out again after the securitys Alsatians started barking. I took a few more pictures and wandered back, stopped briefly to chat with the guard who said he is fine with people looking around and taking pictures from outside the fence, just not to come inside or go near the buildings!
He did have a very cute Alsatian puppy with him too who was loving all the activity!

The walk back to the car provided some incredible views just after sunset over to Drax with the cooling towers seeming to create the clouds across the skyline!

Some pictures: (Apologies for phone camera / late afternoon light if they are a bit grainy!)

Try next time going in from the Dunscroft side you can get in and look around that side without the guard seeing or hearing you iv been in and never seen the guard

Bigmanvincent

28DL Member
28DL Member

20200313_175426.jpg

20200313_175724.jpg

20200313_180005.jpg

20200313_180207.jpg

20200313_180341.jpg

20200313_180347.jpg

20200313_180403.jpg

20200313_180447.jpg

20200313_180632.jpg
I've been inside a few times, just got be carefull of security

I've been in there a few time just got be carefull of the Russian security gaurd

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_183233.jpg
    IMG_20200601_183233.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200515_201859.jpg
    IMG_20200515_201859.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200515_205210.jpg
    IMG_20200515_205210.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200515_201539.jpg
    IMG_20200515_201539.jpg