real time web analytics
Report - - Hauxton Mill - Hauxton - Cambridgeshire- august 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hauxton Mill - Hauxton - Cambridgeshire- august 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R_yoda

Like a cat on a fence....
28DL Full Member
History
The Hauxton Mill is a classic English watermill

The mill was the last working commercial mill of this type in the area. Commercial activity ceased at the mill in 1972, when the last Miller (Gerald Maurice Arthur "Moss" Turner) liquidated his civil engineering businesses (G.M.A. Turner & Son Ltd) which operated out of the mill and its grounds. The mill at the time belonged to a local landowner (squire) as part of his estate.
Fisons rented the mill from the landowner, and used the mill itself for storage. Planning permission to convert the building to various uses was always rejected due to the historic interest. The new mill house was converted to flats, and after another round of legal changes was finally used as an administrative office before falling into disuse in the mid eighties.
The mill was left unattended, with the doors and windows blocked and barred, and gradually fell into a state of disrepair. A grate in front of the mill wheel was removed for now forgotten reasons, and a storm sent a tree crashing into the wooden wheel, effectively ending the operability of the mill around 1980. The grating has since been replaced and the remains of the tree removed.

The Explore
i happened to come across this beautiful little mill whilst on a job in the area, me and a non member was returning home after already checking out another location. As soon as entry took place i knew this was a real gem of a location. The first glimpse of this wooden industial beast made my excitment levels hit the roof! Walking about was awfully dodgey, with floorboards bending away under our feet and the creaking of the structure making us sweat! after about 40 mins of hastely wandering around i decided to leave and make our way back home.. some photos

IMG_5019_zpslmjg5wac.jpg

IMG_5022_zps3n0fvjrg.jpg

IMG_5024_zpst8rghy80.jpg

IMG_5029_zpsklz02vdj.jpg

IMG_5038_zps4ch2m9bx.jpg

IMG_5039_zpslbvrbgkx.jpg

IMG_5042_zps7agnn9yz.jpg

IMG_5043_zpseifq0ory.jpg

Thanks for looking

UrbanZ

ERROR 401
28DL Full Member
nice find, i love the 2nd and 5th pic they really capture this place well, good job. :thumb

R_yoda

Like a cat on a fence....
28DL Full Member
Cheers everybody! Was a good hour or so! Funny what you stumble across out of home terratory :thumb