real time web analytics
Having a few beers during an explore - fan or not? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Having a few beers during an explore - fan or not?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Oddball question, but I was curious as to what ratio of people generally enjoy experiencing a lil period of non-sobriety in whichever way when at certain kinds of abandoned places?
Stories welcome

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Depends if it's proper exploring or just dicking about. I do like a good mooch on the way home from the boozer tho.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Just be careful if you're in Scotland and have an exploring safety brew and drive afterwards. 1 pint can take you over the drink drive limit, I found that out recently. Thankfully by the time they put my car somewhere safe and drove me to the police station I was back below the limit again, but was a real eyeopener.

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Haha luckily I'm rarely the one driving. Love the term exploring safety brew though.
I'll most of the time have a beer or a bat somewhere but it often depends on the place. Places with an awesome natural setting that are quite exposed i will always get on it, but unkonwn quanitity indoor labyrinths I will likely wait til afterwards. Then again if there's hot secca, a few cans will make me not give a shit at all about a potential run-in, which is often for the best.

leanrascal

social constructionist
28DL Full Member
Interesting question which I've often wondered myself but never asked
For me the answer is no:
- Exploring is like driving. A potentially very dangerous activity. I want to be in control, aware and alert at all times.
- I already carry water for hydration purposes, and heavy photographic equipment. I need to keep it as light as possible to be able to climb things.
- Drinking alcohol means ending up with an empty container. Which I would have to take with me. Which would waste a lot of valuable space in my backpack. There is just no room for alcohol.

However I'm a London explorer, going out mostly at night, climbing fences and scaffoldings, dodging security and cameras. I can imagine it could be a totally different story if I was walking into a abandoned factory with no fences or security in the countryside on a bright sunny Sunday afternoon with no driving involved afterwards. Yeah, I can see myself bringing a bottle of Pinot Noir along.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Interesting question which I've often wondered myself but never asked
For me the answer is no:
- Exploring is like driving. A potentially very dangerous activity. I want to be in control, aware and alert at all times.
- I already carry water for hydration purposes, and heavy photographic equipment. I need to keep it as light as possible to be able to climb things.
- Drinking alcohol means ending up with an empty container. Which I would have to take with me. Which would waste a lot of valuable space in my backpack. There is just no room for alcohol.

However I'm a London explorer, going out mostly at night, climbing fences and scaffoldings, dodging security and cameras. I can imagine it could be a totally different story if I was walking into a abandoned factory with no fences or security in the countryside on a bright sunny Sunday afternoon with no driving involved afterwards. Yeah, I can see myself bringing a bottle of Pinot Noir along.

For me it tends to be the oppersite. If I'm in London, not driving, doing silly things like hopping over hording on busy streets then I'm more likely to have had a few cans.. Factories you generally have to drive too for one! Like I say tho. I wouldn't count that sort of thing as exploring anyway, usually I'm on the bus with some mates or at most doing a bit of a blatant recce of something I wouldn't have balls to 'just do' in the middle of the day. If i really give a shit about getting in somewhere I wouldn't drink. It will just hamper your chances imo..

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Dont know about drinking on the job but all of the best exploring trips end in the pub...its the law

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Someone say safety brew :brew

IMG_6480.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 149) View details