real time web analytics
Report - - Hawick Cottage Hospital, Aug 21 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hawick Cottage Hospital, Aug 21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Knight Rider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hawick Cottage Hospital is a good example of a purpose-built small regional hospital that displays some good Arts and Crafts detailing such as decorative timber bargeboarding. It is prominently sited on high ground overlooking the cricket ground to the north. The building has expanded over the years from the 1884 core, but the additions of 1924 and the later 1930s are sympathetic and form a cohesive whole. The hospital was built by public subscription, following a bazaar to raise funds, and was opened on 31 August 1885. A detached X-Ray block was built in 1924. The site closed in 2007, and there is planning permission in place to convert to accommodation.
Some evidence of demolition has taken place as previously photographed indoor areas are now fully exposed to the elements with large piles of crushed rubble neatly kept to one side.
I'm not sure of any further plans to destroy anything else with the building but wouldn't be surprised as it is well and truly falling apart.
I'm a touch sad that I left it so late to see this place as the stairs in the main building are gone, the morgue is gone and it feels like half an experience with so much destruction there. However given that it was a work day with nothing else to do, a cheeky explore on work time isn't too bad at all haha!

Hope you like the pics

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Maaan... that place has gone, but you made it look really photogenic with your excellent pics...

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Yep still worth a mooch. They really tried keeping people out there, with boards and bricked windows.
Youve caught some nice shots there. Definitely worth a look, even better on works time lol

Knight Rider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yep still worth a mooch. They really tried keeping people out there, with boards and bricked windows.
Youve caught some nice shots there. Definitely worth a look, even better on works time lol
Well I thought it would be rude not to, was passing through Hawick anyway, just took an extended lunch break haha!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Agreed u made that look better than it is.
Can't believe it's not all gone tbh, has the block opp gone now? They were demoing several months ago.

Knight Rider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Agreed u made that look better than it is.
Can't believe it's not all gone tbh, has the block opp gone now? They were demoing several months ago.
If you mean the wee xray block/tiny cottage looking building then it's still there but if it's something else then I'd say it's gone as I didn't see anything else. Hope I've explained myself properly haha!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If you mean the wee xray block/tiny cottage looking building then it's still there but if it's something else then I'd say it's gone as I didn't see anything else. Hope I've explained myself properly haha!

yeah think thats what it was, how strange they have done nothing in last few months. There was diggers on site too when we visited

Who has read this thread (Total: 174) View details