real time web analytics
Report - - Hawkshead mill with culvert glossop june 20 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hawkshead mill with culvert glossop june 20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Hawkshead mill was built in 1791 by James Starkie and was used as a textiles mill,
In 1875 it was bought and run by the Jackson Family Who manufactured belt fasteners, They then branched out into a nut and bolt manufacturer.
During the first world war it was involved in munition manufactoring to help the war effort. It was strongly rumored at the time that before the mill pond was filled in some unexploded ordinance was dumped in the pond.
Later on in 1961 an extension to the mill was built by Lowreys of Hyde and since then it had many different uses and owners, the last of which was Flexco until they moved out in 2005.
It is currently owned by a developer who has applied for planning permission to demolish the mill and build 34 houses on the site.
It has been gone a while, the main mill site is cleared and feels like had salt poured on it if that was a thing lol.
However, I found this during some research for somthing else https://kamaniproperty.com/projects/hawkshead-mill/ halfway down it says there is a culvert running through the site and as i had just been asked to leave the culvert in buxton spring Gardens I thought I would go over and forfill my needs there.

A quick explore of the remaining office buildings had to be done but they are pretty much empty, first set are the right side buildings and the colourful walls and graffiti are the side closest to the cleared factory. Apart from the chimney and an old victorian pillar in the loading bay there's little interest in the buildings anymore.

Upstairs the floors were rotted through and I didn't fancy risking it but fresh sawdust and timber stock made the lower floor look recently used.

Lovely chimney still standing, i couldn't find a hole at the bottom, it was very overgrown.

The other side of the lane now on the chimney side.
Nice old victorian pillar still standing.

I dont know how long this valve has been split and spraying water out but its a waste either way.

Upstairs now, the floors actually felt quite solid..

Having read theres a culvert I had a mooch around the open wasteland that was the main factory and at the bottom end i found a hole in the floor,

Hearing water i climbed down to find the said culvert,
Looking left was the nearest open end,

Lets go right

The ceiling is coming down, if i caught the roof chunks of it fell down on me, the strengthening steels protruding into the culvert,

Eventually you get to what looks like foundations from the old buildings,

I couple of big gates or railings are causing a bit of a dam, wasn't sure if the right thing to do is to clear these things out or not so I left it as is the pool the other side was deeper than the rest but didn't go over my wellies, it did smell a bit,

The roof turned to wood lined, the wood falling down in most places didnt give me the feeling of it being safe, they also meant I have to crouch even more which my back was not thankful to,

Eventually breaking out at the end it travels around tbis corner and turns into a nice stone brick sided channel, i went as far as I could then ended up tracking through a jungle to get back above the old mill, coming back down through the stables above madd me realise how far the culvert had taken me,

Im at the picture limit now which I'm surprised at considering there's not much to see but all in all it was a fun hour or so and my first photographed culvert.
Thanks for looking.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I've done roadway culverts when I was kid but a 2 carriageway tunnel doesn't cut it now lol my first proper one and I dont mind saying it was a strange feeling, not scared but sort of apprehensive but excited at the unknown i guess.
First time I've walked through a spiders web string that pushed against me!! Lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I've done roadway culverts when I was kid but a 2 carriageway tunnel doesn't cut it now lol my first proper one and I dont mind saying it was a strange feeling, not scared but sort of apprehensive but excited at the unknown i guess.
First time I've walked through a spiders web string that pushed against me!! Lol

Good for you, Ive always wanted to do culverts, one day hopefully.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Im still not sure if I its somthing I want to add in the hobby or not, it gave me a strange feeling for ages afterwards, i can't describe it lol.

Mondeo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's a good one near me at an old mill if you want the location? The mill itself is pretty much just the walls, but the culvert leads down a river to a nice waterfall,

M.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Im not going to turn a location away but im not sure if its somthing im going to start doing more of or not.

opendoor

Banned
Banned
Hawkshead mill was built in 1791 by James Starkie and was used as a textiles mill,
In 1875 it was bought and run by the Jackson Family Who manufactured belt fasteners, They then branched out into a nut and bolt manufacturer.
During the first world war it was involved in munition manufactoring to help the war effort. It was strongly rumored at the time that before the mill pond was filled in some unexploded ordinance was dumped in the pond.
Later on in 1961 an extension to the mill was built by Lowreys of Hyde and since then it had many different uses and owners, the last of which was Flexco until they moved out in 2005.
It is currently owned by a developer who has applied for planning permission to demolish the mill and build 34 houses on the site.
It has been gone a while, the main mill site is cleared and feels like had salt poured on it if that was a thing lol.
However, I found this during some research for somthing else https://kamaniproperty.com/projects/hawkshead-mill/ halfway down it says there is a culvert running through the site and as i had just been asked to leave the culvert in buxton spring Gardens I thought I would go over and forfill my needs there.

A quick explore of the remaining office buildings had to be done but they are pretty much empty, first set are the right side buildings and the colourful walls and graffiti are the side closest to the cleared factory. Apart from the chimney and an old victorian pillar in the loading bay there's little interest in the buildings anymore.

Upstairs the floors were rotted through and I didn't fancy risking it but fresh sawdust and timber stock made the lower floor look recently used.

Lovely chimney still standing, i couldn't find a hole at the bottom, it was very overgrown.

The other side of the lane now on the chimney side.
Nice old victorian pillar still standing.

I dont know how long this valve has been split and spraying water out but its a waste either way.

Upstairs now, the floors actually felt quite solid..

Having read theres a culvert I had a mooch around the open wasteland that was the main factory and at the bottom end i found a hole in the floor,

Hearing water i climbed down to find the said culvert,
Looking left was the nearest open end,

Lets go right

The ceiling is coming down, if i caught the roof chunks of it fell down on me, the strengthening steels protruding into the culvert,

Eventually you get to what looks like foundations from the old buildings,

I couple of big gates or railings are causing a bit of a dam, wasn't sure if the right thing to do is to clear these things out or not so I left it as is the pool the other side was deeper than the rest but didn't go over my wellies, it did smell a bit,

The roof turned to wood lined, the wood falling down in most places didnt give me the feeling of it being safe, they also meant I have to crouch even more which my back was not thankful to,

Eventually breaking out at the end it travels around tbis corner and turns into a nice stone brick sided channel, i went as far as I could then ended up tracking through a jungle to get back above the old mill, coming back down through the stables above madd me realise how far the culvert had taken me,

Im at the picture limit now which I'm surprised at considering there's not much to see but all in all it was a fun hour or so and my first photographed culvert.
Thanks for looking.
Try cropping more , you’ll ll be surprised how much better the depth is .

Who has read this thread (Total: 157) View details