real time web analytics
Report - - Hayle Power Station Control Room, Cornwall - August 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hayle Power Station Control Room, Cornwall - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
Hayle power station was the only coal-fired grid power station in Cornwall, constructed in 1910 to replace an earlier building in Camborne. It was enlarged multiple times over the years, creating what must have been a very interesting structure. In its final form the site contained three separate boiler houses, dating from around 1920 to 1950, the turbine hall and chimney from the original building and at its peak a capacity of 70mw. In 1973 the building was finally closed due to the construction of much larger and more efficient power stations. In June 1981 the two chimneys were blown up and turbine hall and boiler house were demolished the following December, leaving just the substation and control room. The panels in the control room were supplied by English Electric and probably dates from the late 1940s, when a couple of turbines were installed by the company.

IMG_20200826_181030 3.jpg

Historic photo of the site taken in 1950 showing (left to right) the three boiler houses, constructed in the late 1950s, 1920s and 1930s. The chimney in the centre of the image dates from the original station with the square control room visible just to the right of it. Photo in my collection.

The Explore
I always used to like visiting Hayle, there was a nice feeling of post-industrial dereliction to the town, with the quays and wharfs un-maintained for decades. In recent years there has been a typical modern attempt to re-energise the area - a big blocky ASDA has been slapped on top of the historic quay below the viaduct and town given a tidy up. Rows of houses are now under construction, disregarding all local styles and lining the road leading to the site of the most south-westerly power station in Great Britain.
I've walked past the site of Hayle Power Station many times over the years without having any idea what was hidden inside the remaining grey blockwork buildings to the east of the site. I remember seeing a video on YouTube a few years ago of some bloke walking around the control room, but at the time I was only just beginning to get onto urbex. Even when I saw the report on the building by @Speed I made no rush to get down there, it's a bit of a trek from where I live. Fast forward a couple of years and I'd only given it a few goes, to find the building locked, until @Camera Shy messaged me saying he'd got inside. The building doesn't look like it has much longer left, the electricity has been cut and the switch house to the north has recently been demolished. I really should have made the effort a bit earlier on but nonetheless it's still a great survival. I spent quite some time faffing about with light painting but I’m pretty pleased with the photos I managed to get from it.

IMG_20190222_115544 3.jpg

The site early last year, showing the control room and substations to each side, the one of the left has recently been demolished.

_DSC9332_edited 3.jpg

The entrance to the building, with the doors to the control room at the top of the stairs.

_DSC9333_edited 3.jpg

The room below the control room

_DSC9334_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9315_edited 3.jpg

The control room is a real beauty, the chair has gone since Speed's report but other then that it hasn't really changed. The legs on the control panels are quite an unusual feature.

_DSC9316_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9320_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9322_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9324_edited 3.jpg

Quite a few of the diagrams on the control panels have been painted over at some point and several dials have been been plated over.

_DSC9326_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9328_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9329_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9336_edited 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Nice one bud, absolute bitch to light now the leccy is off lol. I struggled with a shit camping light lol, waited ages myself after speed's original report was nice to see it still there, Done a cracking job on it mate.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You know in all these years I’ve never once noticed that the control panels were on legs. Quite unique
I didn't really think about it until I was there in person. It would be interesting to know their reason for it, just seems like a lot more work.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You think it will get demo'd too?

It doesn't look like it will be around much longer, they'd done quite a messy job of lopping off the substation. I'm going to try and contact the nearby Geevor Tin Mine and see if they're able to dismantle the panels to re-erect at their museum, I'm sure they'd be interested in preserving it and they have the space.

IMG_20200813_182400.jpg

There's a few new transformers going up on the site of the substation.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Awesome to see its still there, I’d heard ot had already been shipped off to a museum. I really fancy this but it’s just so far for one room.

give us a shout if need a hand dismantling it if it does get demo’d.