real time web analytics
Report - - Headstocks - Various Locations - 2020 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Headstocks - Various Locations - 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User

Made it to Hatfield on the way the Hull but the location was not as good as I thought. Need to return in the daytime and get a view from the other side.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Luckily work has been a bit varied since Corona so I get to see places other than London.

WESTFIELD PUMPING PIT - ROTHERHAM

Built in 1823 to drain Newbiggin colliery the building housed a Newcomen engine, similar to the one at Elsecar in post #1. Electric pumps were installled in 1926 and dismantled in 1934. A small group of buildings survive in excellent condtion in someones yard. Not the easiest place to get a photo of due to the fencing.

SNIBSTON No2 COLLIERY
Finally had a chance to walk arouund my local headgear after driving past it hundreds of times. Opened in 1832 by George Stephenson and his son Robert bit consists of two shafts 8 yards apart and 309 yards deep. Water ingress from the overlying strata was suprisingly small for a coal mine and we dealt with by winding it up in barrels. The mine operated in two sections, 10 cwt tubs in the Southern part as the Coal was thicker compared to the North where they used 5cwt ones. In 1963 the Coal Board built a drift and the shafts were not longer used to wind coal and were used for ventilation and winding of men/materials. The mine closed in 1983.

Much more info at: https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/leicestershire/snibston-colliery/

After closure it became the Snibston discovery centre with Colliery tours, train rides and a museum. I never had the chance to go before the miserable twats at the council closed it and demolished it to make way for housing. The former site it now a building site so I couldn't get any photos from the direction.

Who has read this thread (Total: 374) View details