Report - - Healey Dell Viaduct - October 2011. | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Healey Dell Viaduct - October 2011.


Staff member

Healey Dell Viaduct


The Healey Dell 5 mile branch line was part of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company, and took 5 years to build. It was opened to passengers on the 1st of November 1870

Curving northwards, it hugged the hillside above the valley of the River Spodden

To get to Broadley Station, the branch had to cross over the river, this was achieved with the viaduct being built in 1867

Constructed of locally quarried stone it was erected some 31.5m high above the river with 8 arches, each with a 24m span

About a quarter of a mile further along were Broadley Stone sidings, which serviced the Stone Rubbing Mill

The site consisted of a stone processing plant, crane, and loading platform from which the flagstones from the quarry were transferred to wagons

A connection with the main line was made at the southern end of the stone sidings as the northern end had been disconnected in 1899

There was a narrow gauge track which ran from the sidings that headed straight up to Rooley Moor where the wagons were pulled using ropes

By 1900 the quarry concern had declined, and the rope-worked quarry line fell into disuse

However, Broadley Stone Sidings gained a new lease of life in 1910 when a further narrow gauge line was laid to serve Mycock Spring Mill dye works

The sidings were later used for coal in the 1950's

Official closure of passenger trains on the Bacup line began on the 14th of December 1949

Until 1952 only light engines ran between Bacup and Rochdale, leaving a service of 2 coal goods trains per day from Rochdale to Facit Yard

By August 1967 the branch no longer existed

Today the views are spectacular, the viaduct is home to the Sparrowhawk and Bats :thumb

...(Oh, and a couple of goons on ropes) :rolleyes: :D















Last edited: