real time web analytics
Report - - Heaton Track Maintenance Depot..Newcastle, January 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heaton Track Maintenance Depot..Newcastle, January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
On the way back from Scotland after a Christmas break I visited the trains at the Tanfield yard. After I had visited there I made my way to this large maintenance shed. It's trashed but something about it is quite beautiful. Nature has taken over the platforms and remaining rail tracks with birds taking over the place. If like me you like rail related explores then this place is very interesting. It also has a few side rooms and some old boilers which are heavily graffitied.
The shed which is situated in the Heaton suburb of Newcastle opened in the mid 1800s by the North East Railway. Originally used to house steam locomotives from the main line. The Heaton yard was taken over by British rail in the mid fifties. The sidings shed closed down in the 80s and used for storage, than it was severed from the main line in the early 00's. The maintenance yard is still in active use. Thanks for the amateur wanderers and wild Boyz early reports for a bit of history.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work i used to work next door in the main depot retired now i did venture in there back in 2005 it was like a jungle then heaven knows how bad it must get in the summer now, some of the guys who remember it said it was full of old carriages etc until they cleared it all out. It was going to be part of a huge super depot but the plans seemed to have fallen through.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good work i used to work next door in the main depot retired now i did venture in there back in 2005 it was like a jungle then heaven knows how bad it must get in the summer now, some of the guys who remember it said it was full of old carriages etc until they cleared it all out. It was going to be part of a huge super depot but the plans seemed to have fallen through.
Thank you for that reply, really interesting. I would have loved to have seen it with the carriages in it. I wonder what the eventual fate of it will be. Prob demolished eventually I reckon

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you for that reply, really interesting. I would have loved to have seen it with the carriages in it. I wonder what the eventual fate of it will be. Prob demolished eventually I reckon
I know one of the guys who used to work there said i would have had a field day in there full of railway treasures. I did come accross an old letter dated early 1920s about cleaning trains at Newcastle station. It was up for sale if i remember for £1 but the buyer had to sort out the asbestos problem which it is riddled with.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I know one of the guys who used to work there said i would have had a field day in there full of railway treasures. I did come accross an old letter dated early 1920s about cleaning trains at Newcastle station. It was up for sale if i remember for £1 but the buyer had to sort out the asbestos problem which it is riddled with.
Yeah and I wonder how much asbestos will cost to remove from a building that size ha ha.

E39matt

28DL Member
28DL Member
Looks a canny explore! I’ll have to try take a look sometime if I’m passing. Thanks for the report!

Who has read this thread (Total: 276) View details