real time web analytics
Question - - HELP NEEDED!! BOX FREESTONE MINE WILTSHIRE | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - HELP NEEDED!! BOX FREESTONE MINE WILTSHIRE

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshwari

28DL Member
28DL Member
Im looking for help on the entrances that are still open for box? ive been previously and always used the back door entrance but recently its changed and had a new gate put in, is there any other entrances like lady hamilton or anything accessible?

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
And dont go in thinking you'll be able to get out from backdoor, last time we went someone had stuffed a big stone on the INSIDE of the grill, took about ten minutes of swearing and serious consideration about just trekking back to Jacks before we finally got it moved.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Only so much that should be said on a public forum.. we don't want kids getting lost down there.

What I will say is that it's the same key as for Backdoor and the location of Jack's can be found with a bit of research on the internet. Jack's puts you into the southern region of the mine which is a different survey map to the central area where the Backdoor is. You can buy both surveys from the Quarryman's pub. It's a long trek underground from Jacks to the famous sights of Box Mine, so take care, make sure you have a compass and plenty of spare light and only go in as far as you feel comfortable with. Ask at The Quarrymans and they can put you in touch with local guides if you are lacking confidence for a self-guided long trip underground.

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lady Hamilton's 2 has 3 ways in. It's the in woods above Box and a bit closer to the centre of the quarry than Jack's.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Mate, just go to the quarrymans and get a guide to take you around, theres no shame in a tour the first time you go down there.

HanKath

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know this post is old now , but looking to head down to the cathedral and up to the red door fence for my 40th next year ( random I know ) as it’s been on my bucket list for many years !
Any good guides who can safely get me there ? I am not willing to attempt it with myself guiding I am not ashamed to admit !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Sorry you're SOL. MOD section was very comprehensively sealed about a year or so ago. All entrances are now grilled and you will almost certainly bump into the copper who is assigned to keep an eye on the place.

HanKath

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry you're SOL. MOD section was very comprehensively sealed about a year or so ago. All entrances are now grilled and you will almost certainly bump into the copper who is assigned to keep an eye on the place.
So the holes at “back door” lead nowhere ? Yes I am aware there is a large metal fence to the red door with alarms , I wasn’t aiming to get past this , just to this area along with cathedral
I’ve been recently and I’ve seen plenty of holes inside but as I said without someone who knows their way round I didn’t want to risk it !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Given how much Box has been degraded by idiots with spray paint I'm not sure its a place I would really want to visit, if graffiti gets on your nerves there isn't much enjoyment wandering around a place so full of it.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
So the holes at “back door” lead nowhere ?

Correct.

I’ve been recently and I’ve seen plenty of holes inside but as I said without someone who knows their way round I didn’t want to risk it !

Yes but they dont connect to the mine or if they did have been comprehensively backfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.