real time web analytics
Report - - Hempsted GPSS Oil Depot - Gloucester - October 2020 | Military Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hempsted GPSS Oil Depot - Gloucester - October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I'll have to do a revisit soon and see what's remaining before it goes. Might be last chance to see some of the previously inaccessible tanks.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I'll have to do a revisit soon and see what's remaining before it goes. Might be last chance to see some of the previously inaccessible tanks.

Would be nice if they've broken open a way into more than just the one!

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Of the 3 GPSS sites in Gloucester, the only one that remains a bit of a mystery is the location of a Pump Station. Whether anything remains is another question.
Oh right, so there might still be sommat remaining of the various installations, if it's locatable?
shame the tanks have gone, it was an interesting site, sort of like an industrial alternate reality world of the Teletubby domes.
P.S Nice to see a bit of Garth Marenghi around. Didn't realise he was an urbexer, plus actor.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh right, so there might still be sommat remaining of the various installations, if it's locatable?
shame the tanks have gone, it was an interesting site, sort of like an industrial alternate reality world of the Teletubby domes.
P.S Nice to see a bit of Garth Marenghi around. Didn't realise he was an urbexer, plus actor.
There were two storage depots, Gloucester Government Civil Reserve and the Gloucester Petroleum Storage Depot. The Gloucester PSD is the site in the pictures on this thread. The Gloucester GCR site is now a housing estate. The Gloucester Pump Station closed in the late 1970s, which doesn't mean for certain that the site is long gone. As an example there was pump station at Bridgnorth, Shropshire which closed at roundabout the same time. I followed up a lead and found that site still existed and was now a timber yard. All the buildings were still there.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not overly sure on the status of Upton, was a very long day driving, so couldn't be bothered trying to hard. The Farm House section was full of HGV trailers though.

Grizzley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lived in Hempsted as a kid in the 80s and early 90s and walked past this most days. Looked well maintained then, and the other depot was derelict but still existed. I remember looking around the derelict one but never knew what it was back then and didn't own a camera. From the bottom of the recreation ground you could get down into an old railway cutting (now a road) and follow it to where it used to cross the canal, then get back up to where the tanks were. It's visible on old google earth images not far south of the depot in this report, and pretty much in line with the pipeline shown at the bottom of the first picture.
I don't remember seeing any sign of a pumping station.

Who has read this thread (Total: 396) View details