real time web analytics
Report - - Hendon Paper works, Sunderland, August 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hendon Paper works, Sunderland, August 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
The paper works opened in 1872, with 400 staff
producing esporto paper (a high quality paper produced with the fibres of grass).
The company was bought in 1962 by a chemical & tar company & renamed Howard smith Hendon LTD,
which cease operating & closed the site in 1980 with 600 job loses.
The Edward Thompson group bought the site in 1981, 11 months since closure
now producing 100% recycled paper the firm opened a 2nd site at Sheepfolds which continues operating today.
Most of the site closed in 2006, with 94 job loses.
With much of the equipment been stripped & sent to India for reuse
part of the site remained in use for producing bingo tickets & storing equipment, the paper works officially closed in 2015.
The original brick buildings remain largely untouched, but in poor condition
some of the new warehouses have been stripped of their corrugated & remaining equipment.
The site is currently being demo'd, which commenced in August 2017.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

gantry crane & control room
7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

control room
12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

boiler house
25.JPG

26.JPG

2nd gantry crane
27.JPG

notices
28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

cont.

Last edited:

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Great report good to see you out and about. I like the one of the four little robot men on the wall :thumb

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great work must get down there before its too late thanks for posting this i had no idea it was being demoed.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Place looks like a derp and your almost a decade too late, it's on your doorstep as well

That said I'm more impressed it's taken you nearly as long to work out how to use the image hosting we spent all that time and money sorting out :thumb

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
there was a thread circa August 2014 by a fellow member
it was the "Edward Thompson Paper Mill"..... name was in place since 1981 when they took it over, hence my report a few year back of that name and not "Hendon paper works"... as its rarely known by that name.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
it was the "Edward Thompson Paper Mill"..... name was in place since 1981 when they took it over, hence my report a few year back of that name and not "Hendon paper works"... as its rarely known by that name.

I've tried changing the name, but can't now.

Sed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like the place hasnt been touched in the last 3 years. Security have obviously done a canny job in keeping people out of there because apart from another 3 years of natural decay it's very similar pics to when we went in.

Last edited: