real time web analytics
Question - - Henry the 8th tunnels | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Henry the 8th tunnels

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey just wondering if anyone has done any research on the tunnels w.h.mills found that Henry the 8th used to visit Ann boylne at addington palace to near by wickham court. Can only find a few mentions of it online which seem to be referencing from the same sorce. I have searched the area and can confirm worked parts that look like they been dug, also there's a raised section a massive sand hill? Old photos and an old friend can confirm that area seem to be a sand spoil. Maybe just natural who knows? But old photos a 100 years ago show it looks like it's been worked too as now that area is covered in silly ash trees why wasn't there trees there 100 years ago? Considering it's always been part of the woods.

Last edited:

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bricked chamber and tunnels. It may be minging now but 100s of years ago it was just like any other bricked tunnel you've been in. It's a fact that it's there its wether he used it or not. It was in his hunting grounds at the addington palace

If someone wants to go to the Croydon archives an go through w.h.mills I'd be more than happy to accompany someone as I haven't done this yet.

I read that It was safer in them days to use such underground passages and there plenty of them.

Last edited:

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Interesting read here: http://www.wcms.org.uk/cgi-bin/wcmsarchive.pl?archid=cccp_pws_thanet_sand_aug1977

Addington Palace to Wickham is 12 miles so it's unlikely that there is a tunnel the whole way, unless it was a mine following a seam of ore.

If a tunnel was made just for Henry I guess it would need to be extra wide so 12 miles * 2m * 2m. This would produce 77248 cubic metres of sand - that's about the size of 1153 shipping containers.

henry-viii-wives.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Interesting read here: http://www.wcms.org.uk/cgi-bin/wcmsarchive.pl?archid=cccp_pws_thanet_sand_aug1977

Addington Palace to Wickham is 12 miles so it's unlikely that there is a tunnel the whole way, unless it was a mine following a seam of ore.

If a tunnel was made just for Henry I guess it would need to be extra wide so 12 miles * 2m * 2m. This would produce 77248 cubic metres of sand - that's about the size of 1153 shipping containers.

henry-viii-wives.jpg

Take into account that he would not have walked that far, he would have been on horseback or carriage, so you can double your dimensions, which quadruples the output.

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think the only way to settle this is to do something archive digging and also find where that first source of information came from.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Sounds like the old tunnel to the big house story you hear about in just about every part of the country. If this did really exist there would be more than one source of information about it and would almost certainly be taught in school.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It just never happened I've looked at the map and it's 1.5 / 2 miles.

The tunnel would be extremely difficult to build in sand even using today's technology.

Also it would be pointless, the two places are literally five fields away.

But finally, this...

"There is an oft repeated, but false account of a royal hunting lodge, "where King Henry VIII supposedly wooed Anne Boleyn, whose family owned nearby Wickham Court" by West Wickham Parish Church. However, the Anne Boleyn of Wickham Court was the aunt of Queen Anne."

It's just the usual unfounded rumour based on nothing at all.

vegan420

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Anyone interested in this please pm me I got some interesting stuff to share thank you :)

Airbus1

28DL Member
28DL Member
As a child in the sixties I used to go to work with my mother in the school holidays who worked as a cleaner in Coloma convent and also the castle. I frequently played in this tunnel which was about 300 feet in length before it was blocked off. It was a well known fact that this tunnel stretched to addington village and I also retrieved a sword from it although not from the Tudor period.

Pearhead

28DL Member
28DL Member
I lived about 600m from Addington Palace when I was a child. One day at the top of the garden of the house next door a "sink hole" opened up. I never got the chance to look in it but I remember the"authorities" arrived and left with no explanation. It was then infilled eventually with garden rubbish so it couldn't have been that big.
There was speculation then about tunnels. We weren't on chalk unless it was much deeper.

Who has read this thread (Total: 217) View details