real time web analytics
Report - - Herne Bay Pier Head - Kent- Aug 2012 - Report | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Herne Bay Pier Head - Kent- Aug 2012 - Report

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Crabstick

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cut off from land for the last 34 years the T shaped pier head which is approximately ¾ of a mile from the coast originally served as a docking point for paddle steamers that took trips to Southend Pier in Essex. In January 1978 and February 1979 storm’s caused part of the pier to collapse and was part demolished in 1980. The pier head was too solid so was left.

Sitting in the North Sea and open to the elements it’s not looking too good now. Though is home to a large quantity of seagulls, pigeons and pooh. It has a modern mast on it and a quantity of solar panels.

I picked a fantastic sunny day for this trip. I’m a strong swimmer but still put on a life jacket and set of in the kayak the 1200m trip from the beach. Heading out didn’t take long at all. The trip back in took slightly longer due to the tide turning though I was directly under the Redbull Matadors air display team performing for the yearly Herne Bay festival.

Pictures where taking with a point and click.

75089d2a.jpg

eb45ec59.jpg

94494e1d.jpg

6d8239cb.jpg

819c7f42.jpg

85161fd5.jpg

2a888696.jpg

A friends mother worked in here during the 50's serving teas

e5968852.jpg

Lots of bird pooh made for a cushioned floor

11b8213a.jpg

The detailing of the balustrade and seating looked very cool. With Herne Bay's coast line in the distance. I like the water tower......maybe one day

0f8a90be.jpg

The only structure on the pier head has eight sides

I hoped you like looking

seanharvey

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello there,

I work in herne bay and have just started up my own design studio (on my own). I recently did a small project for a hut on the pier which is undergoing a bit of regeneration.

I saw your close up images of the pier head and its damaged cafe. I wondered if it was possible to use these on my site if i credited you. I won't be making any money out of them, its purely to show the decoration on the cafe which i used on my design.

You can email me at [email protected]

many thanks

Sean