Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Herstmonceux Place | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Herstmonceux Place

DevilishTricks

28DL Member
28DL Member
Was just talking to a mate the other day about an old Private Home that he once lived in that was constructed in 1777 and converted into flats in 1932. He became curious about the place after drilling through a wall hanging a picture hook up and in the process discovering an old passage used by servants/maids.
He also believes that the place was once an asylum. Anyone know whether this is the case or whether he's confusing it with Hellingly Asylum?

Bone

As you do
28DL Full Member
Was just talking to a mate the other day about an old Private Home that he once lived in that was constructed in 1777 and converted into flats in 1932. He became curious about the place after drilling through a wall hanging a picture hook up and in the process discovering an old passage used by servants/maids.
He also believes that the place was once an asylum. Anyone know whether this is the case or whether he's confusing it with Hellingly Asylum?
Man, that must have been some picture hook!

rwjsear.com

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've been repairing Sash windows on an apartment in Herstmonceux Place for about six weeks.
https://sites.google.com/a/rwjsear.com/herstmonceux-place/
I'm now building some neoclassical bookcases in one of the round rooms. https://plus.google.com/photos/108799998358152831617/albums/5770561639078752609
I'm back there tomorrow continuing with the bookcase builds. I'll ask the freeholder more about the history of the place.
I do know that the original architect for the house was Samuel Wyatt.
He was briefed to extend the original dowagers house of Herstmonceux Castle, and made it much grander than the original house.
Belmont House, Throwley, Faversham, Kent ME13 0HH is the spitting image of Herstmonceux Place with same garden facade of bow windows and saucer cupolas. It turns out to have been built by Samuel Wyatt, a few years after Herstmonceux Place c.1789. Check out their website www.belmont-house.org
There are some wonderful internal pictures including the library