real time web analytics
Report - - Hexham Swimming Baths Hexham September 2019 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hexham Swimming Baths Hexham September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Was told about this place of a mate and didn't even know it existed, bit of a pain go get inside but was worth it.
Been closed for over a decade now and is supposed to be due for demolition.

Found some information online about the site so I have pasted it on here.

The swimming pool on Gilesgate opened in 1974 on the site of a wool warehouse built by Henry Bell in 1885.
It was closed by the now defunct Tynedale Council when a replacement at the town’s Wentworth Leisure Centre opened in 2008.
The site was put up for sale by Northumberland County Council two years later.
McCarthy and Stone first announced plans to develop the site in 2012, when concerns were voiced by Hexham Civic Society.

The company is now seeking demolition of the pool building and two properties on Haugh Lane, to make way for the construction of the Later Living retirement housing.
The scheme would see the stone facade of the swimming pool building on Gilesgate retained.
The plans have attracted 15 letters of objection, including one from the civic society, but also 19 letters of support.
DSC01794.JPG

DSC01782.JPG

DSC01810.JPG

DSC01783.JPG

DSC01789.JPG

DSC01793.JPG

DSC01796.JPG

DSC01787.JPG

DSC01797.JPG

DSC01801.JPG

DSC01811.JPG

DSC01812.JPG

DSC01788.JPG

DSC01802.JPG

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for sharing this. I actually learned to swim here as a young kid in the early 80s. I returned to Hexham today for the first time in decades and found it in this abandoned condition, which was quite sad as I remember it when it was shiny and new. I couldn't find a way inside so great to see your photos.

NorthernEye

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very sad to see it in this state now, as xm657 states, I also learnt to swim here in the 90s for me though, brings back fond memories thank you for sharing.

Who has read this thread (Total: 368) View details