real time web analytics
Report - - Heyrod Power Station (Mid June 2015) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heyrod Power Station (Mid June 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZoroLime

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know the location is quite popular on here but i had to go and see it for myself considering i was close by and the sheer fact i never knew about it. I've always done urban exploring but only just started to practice my photography recently, along with Techytadpole (new member also) and a non member friend.

Anyway a little a bit of information about the place from wiki in case you haven't seen any other reports on the location:

"Preparations for a power station at Heyrod began in 1916 when 26 acres (110,000 m2) of land were purchased. The station was opened in 1926 by the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Transport and Electricity Board.[1] The station began operation with three Metropolitan-Vickers 12,500kW turbo-alternators generating at the local SHMD supply frequency of 40Hz. Later that year the station's output was changed to the nationally agreed standard of 50Hz. In 1935, a major expansion of Hartshead began with the first of three new Metropolitan-Vickers 30,000kW generating sets being commissioned, followed by the second set in 1943 and the third set in 1950. The station's concrete cooling towers were constructed in the 1940s.[2] Coal was delivered to the plant at Millbrook railway sidings on the Micklehurst Line, situated on the opposite side of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The sidings were built in 1932 and had space to hold up to 130 12-ton wagons. Coal was fed into a hopper underneath the sidings before being transported on an enclosed conveyor belt which emerged high above the valley to cross the River Tame and canal before entering the station at a high level.[3] The station was closed on 29 October 1979 with a generating capacity of 64 megawatts.[4] It was demolished during the late 1980s, although part of the site is still used as an electrical substation."

Our visit:

We arrived around 7:30ish on a lovely Tuesday evening and began to scout the outside for the best entrance and any possible cameras (like the sign evoked) only to find no visible CCTV but Techy saw some people on the roof of one of the main buildings playing music and just being generally annoying but we ignored them and carried on anyway being weary of the other intruders and also aware of the van that kept driving past blasting his horn perhaps to warn us away. The camera i used was Nikon DS3200 as i am just a beginner and still without a tripod -_- so using objects and myself to steady the camera i had loads of fun trying to take long exposure shots in dark situations avoiding the use of flash. After we had explored the power station itself we traveled through the thick wood to try and make our way to the railway sidings close by, discovering various rusting exploded cars along the way lying derelict in the thickening plantation. I will post the power station images here and the railway sidings on a separate report.

Here are my unedited shots from the visit:

Image00001.jpg
Image00002.jpg
Image00003.jpg
Image00004.jpg
Image00005.jpg
Image00006.jpg
Image00007.jpg
Image00008.jpg
Image00009.jpg
Image00010.jpg
Image00011.jpg
Image00012.jpg
Image00013.jpg
Image00014.jpg
Image00015.jpg
Image00016.jpg
Image00017.jpg
Image00018.jpg
Image00019.jpg
Image00020.jpg
Image00021.jpg
Image00022.jpg
Image00023.jpg
Image00024.jpg
Image00025.jpg
Image00026.jpg
Image00027.jpg
Image00028.jpg

Thanks for viewing :)

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Hey Ace, got some decent pics there, just got a few minor quibbles. SPACE ... the final frontier .... and what should between the pics , so us ol' fogeys can figure them out . :D . And you'll probably get some flak about the series of pics that look like they were taken by racking the zoom in -n- out from the same basic point of view ... Variety is the Spice of Life ! Be Spicey! Other than that, got good report form, info included, nice pics ! Just Keep on Keeping on!

ZoroLime

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks cuuvin and mrwhite for the suggestions and comments they will help when I post my other recent visits. I also couldn't decide my favourite for the series of images which are very similar so I just posted them all haha, i don't think I did zoom I just slightly changed the perspective and placement for the best shot :rolleyes:.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I know the location is quite popular on here but i had to go and see it for myself considering i was close by and the sheer fact i never knew about it. I've always done urban exploring but only just started to practice my photography recently, along with Techytadpole (new member also) and a non member friend.

Anyway a little a bit of information about the place from wiki in case you haven't seen any other reports on the location:

"Preparations for a power station at Heyrod began in 1916 when 26 acres (110,000 m2) of land were purchased. The station was opened in 1926 by the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Transport and Electricity Board.[1] The station began operation with three Metropolitan-Vickers 12,500kW turbo-alternators generating at the local SHMD supply frequency of 40Hz. Later that year the station's output was changed to the nationally agreed standard of 50Hz. In 1935, a major expansion of Hartshead began with the first of three new Metropolitan-Vickers 30,000kW generating sets being commissioned, followed by the second set in 1943 and the third set in 1950. The station's concrete cooling towers were constructed in the 1940s.[2] Coal was delivered to the plant at Millbrook railway sidings on the Micklehurst Line, situated on the opposite side of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The sidings were built in 1932 and had space to hold up to 130 12-ton wagons. Coal was fed into a hopper underneath the sidings before being transported on an enclosed conveyor belt which emerged high above the valley to cross the River Tame and canal before entering the station at a high level.[3] The station was closed on 29 October 1979 with a generating capacity of 64 megawatts.[4] It was demolished during the late 1980s, although part of the site is still used as an electrical substation."

Our visit:

We arrived around 7:30ish on a lovely Tuesday evening and began to scout the outside for the best entrance and any possible cameras (like the sign evoked) only to find no visible CCTV but Techy saw some people on the roof of one of the main buildings playing music and just being generally annoying but we ignored them and carried on anyway being weary of the other intruders and also aware of the van that kept driving past blasting his horn perhaps to warn us away. The camera i used was Nikon DS3200 as i am just a beginner and still without a tripod -_- so using objects and myself to steady the camera i had loads of fun trying to take long exposure shots in dark situations avoiding the use of flash. After we had explored the power station itself we traveled through the thick wood to try and make our way to the railway sidings close by, discovering various rusting exploded cars along the way lying derelict in the thickening plantation. I will post the power station images here and the railway sidings on a separate report.

Here are my unedited shots from the visit:

Image00001.jpg
Image00002.jpg
Image00003.jpg
Image00004.jpg
Image00005.jpg
Image00006.jpg
Image00007.jpg
Image00008.jpg
Image00009.jpg
Image00010.jpg
Image00011.jpg
Image00012.jpg
Image00013.jpg
Image00014.jpg
Image00015.jpg
Image00016.jpg
Image00017.jpg
Image00018.jpg
Image00019.jpg
Image00020.jpg
Image00021.jpg
Image00022.jpg
Image00023.jpg
Image00024.jpg
Image00025.jpg
Image00026.jpg
Image00027.jpg
Image00028.jpg

Thanks for viewing :)

Sweet report mate, managed to capture some great shots of the place

What about the sidings? There’s some pretty sweet conveyor tunnels and stuff still there (I’m not entirely sure on some of them after the recent horrific floods), but it’s pretty sweet. Did you make that report?