real time web analytics
Report - - Hi-Finish Casting Limited - Birmingham | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hi-Finish Casting Limited - Birmingham

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
This was the third explore of the day with @albino-jay, @monk, @raisinwing, and Sparky. Access has sadly changed on the planned explore and when we were organising this trip, we hadn’t much wanted to contemplate the possibility of failure, so we didn’t spend too much time thinking of a backup. So, after some blood loss, we quickly found ourselves making contingency plans in the back of the tour bus, which involved a fairly brief jaunt down Moonwalker drain (at least brief for the size of it), a factory that was mostly demolished and then onto here, Hi-Finish Castings.

5NwfBqP.jpg

It never fails to amaze me how brazen you can sometimes afford to be during broad daylight in heavily populated areas and that’s what we had to be. Had it not been for the succession of disappointments that preceded this explore and a complete dearth of alternatives, we might well have moved on. Happily, our decision to just nail the explore paid off; there was no real drama and it ended up being a fairly relaxed explore.

I am really struggling to find out any history on this that would develop the information in Clebby’s Original Report, and there are some nice features from Clebby’s visit, which are now vandalised or removed, so it’s worth casting your eye over his report anyway. I hope you enjoyed the pun.​

Anyway, on with the explore...

I had read Clebby and Brian's reports on this place before and I'd made a mental note to visit. And I hadn't expected to visit on this day, but a twist of fate found me here without even remembering I'd made a mental note to visit. That's the thing about mental notes to visit interesting derps that pop up; they're not worth the paper they're not even written on.

The main part of the building is a massive industrial workshop, which is too massive to capture fully even with a 10mm lens wide open. I couldn't even touch the sides.​

s9NPqju.jpg

So I spent a bit of time walking the perimeter capturing the space - and I do like a nice industrial space - by including the various interesting objects dotted around it.

Dr6wfBP.jpg

B4A64si.jpg

KzXMdjx.jpg

Vpl2IXA.jpg

zRbGoQQ.jpg

No one cared who he was until he put on the welding mask.

er9VWMk.jpg

4ww1wa3.jpg

vSGxviq.jpg

Off the main working area are offices, storerooms and kitchens and a canteen. There are toilets, of course, but for some reason photographing toilets has never interested me.

This is a small portacabin in the main working room.​

UhAH5M6.jpg

Empty office with some an old cabinet. I'm not sure why I've just written that, because it's plainly fucking obvious what it is.

yykXFzq.jpg

The main canteen room...

uvxlob7.jpg

The main catering kitchen. This has been a bit trashed since Clebby's report.

4kCVYu4.jpg

I have no idea what the fuck this thing is, but it connects to the catering kitchen.

yJDMTGS.jpg

Heading off in a slightly different direction is the main corridor leading to the offices.​

y1VROB6.jpg

This would have been posh furniture back in the day. In fact, the display cabinet you can see on the right a few windows back is reminiscent to one my parents had. Kinda wish I'd taken the covers off...

ew6SunC.jpg

The storeroom. Gutted I missed the cyanide cabinet here.

5csXTCC.jpg

I don't normally like including photos I've cocked up, and this one I have. But the report would not be complete without a snap of the safe that lives in the toilets.

DOHvwGv.jpg

A small kitchenette and more obvious and unnecessary commentary by me.

Jp9PK3J.jpg

Cracking offices.

T7QNeic.jpg

yVlOODl.jpg

The ledger on the table containing details of wages as far back as 1947...

rL4nJol.jpg

There wasn't much in this room apart from asbestos particles, according to the sign.

40WCNHV.jpg

The reception area was quite cool, but the best thing of all. Even of the whole explore for me, were the two fibreglass murals that were in the reception. I possibly spent more time capturing these than I ought, but they were pretty impressive. It was only a little after I edited them that I realised they are both exactly the same, one is just upside down. And the other has a leaf on.

BEcgvge.jpg

So there you have it. It's a decent derp. I could have spent a lot longer in there with a nifty 50 taking my time over shots. But I'd forgotten my nifty fifty anyway.

And it's got a little bit of something for everyone, with plenty of relics left. Some that will hopefully be saved.​

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

EOA :thumb

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Looks like a decent place and you’ve got some good pics there. Fails are a right arse aren’t they? especially when you end up travelling. But then some of my favourite things have come from making hastily rescheduled plans and finding something that’s not been done for a while.

Reactions: EOA

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I like that a lot, reminds me a little of the camshaft place in Elstead, but less trashed. Some great features, love the wooden paneling in the offices.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top notch, shame about the other site but at least you didn't come away with nothing...

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
I always dread seeing your reports of places I've been because your photos inevitably blow mine completely out the water :(

I think the weird room attached to the canteen could have been a social club once? It looked to have been used for manufacturing in its later days though.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the comments chaps :thumb

Sometimes it works out that way @tarkovsky - but had we got in where we wanted, I'd still be grinning from ear to ear now. It was still a very good day with good company and nice to get this done!

I don't know @'Splorin' - but I did a quick Google and quite possibly it is. Yeah, it's tucked just behind a residential street. I'll follow that up and see if it results in anythign more.

Cheers @host - I beginning to think I am jinxed with that type of explore!

Haha, thanks @clebby - I'm taking the compliment, but I always read through your reports and end up thinking I haven't done nearly as well at capturing the place. I don't know about that room, but that might explain it. It was an really strange construction and the industrial stuff in there was peculiar too.