real time web analytics
Report - - Hic Bibby and Red Rock Culverts - Coppull/Red Rock, Lancashire - October 2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hic Bibby and Red Rock Culverts - Coppull/Red Rock, Lancashire - October 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Draining is an aspect of urbex we haven't tried upto now so we thought we'd dip our toes in quite literally. We started off by having a wonder through the red rock culvert as we were in the area hunting for remains of coal mining and were walking the route of the Lancashire Union railway through Haigh. After Red Rock we nipped over to Hic Bibby as it was only a short detour on our way back. It was a bit of a change for us and was more fun than we expected, will be exploring more of these in the future.

Hic Bibby is a short brick and stone culvert that takes the Hic Bibby brook under the west coast mainline, Hic Bibby was supposedly named by Oliver Cromwell as he stopped there with his army on the way back from the battle of Preston, Hic Bibby translates to "here I drink". We were surprised by how interesting the brick and stonework is in this place.

Red Rock culvert is a low brick lined culvert that was built to take a small stream under the now abandoned Lancashire Union railway. Again the brickwork is nice but it's backbreaking to walk through and being six foot I ended up with a good bit of back ache after this one. I didn't include many shots as it is very samey.

One of the bridges over the old Lancashire union railway

The remains of the Lancashire Union line.

The Red Rock culvert.

A couple of bonus shots of the Great Haigh sough which is a short walk down the route of the old railway line and we though it was interesting. It was built in 1653 and runs under what was once Sir Roger Bradshaighs estate at Haigh Hall to the site of his Coal mines in Aspull to provide drainage for the mines. It's a scheduled monument due to the fact that it is one of the earliest surviving examples of mine engineering in the country.

Thanks for looking.

Who has read this thread (Total: 179) View details