real time web analytics
Report - - Hidden bus workshop - Pembrey Country Park - May 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hidden bus workshop - Pembrey Country Park - May 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

apocolypito

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After saying fairwell to Russ' Howe earlier in the day to show him and a mate round Kidwelly ROC, we decided to stop off in Pembrey Country Park to explore the remains of the former Military site when we stumbled across something quite unexpected in one of the old train loading bays...

IMG_9575.jpg

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

IMG_9595.jpg

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9601.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

IMG_9607.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

Sorry for all the images, but if you would like to see more then click here.

Thanks for viewing.

R

richellis

The Green and yellow one shown is a Guy bus, is still in the livery of the Green bus service, I used to go to school on this bus, it was sold into preservation in the late 80s
Id love to see more pics of that one!

apocolypito

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If anyone would like to visit here then please feel free to drop me an e-mail and we can arrange something.

georgeupstairs

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Norwich Playbus is ROD 767, an MCW-bodied AEC Regent V new to Devon General. South Wales Transport 598 is 431 TCY, a Park-Royal Bodied AEC Regent V. The third bus is YTH 815, a Massey-bodied Guy Arab IV of Green Bus, Great Wyrley, but new to Rees and Williams.

The location and sad deterioration of these vehicles is well-known to the bus preservation movment.

flametailedfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So does anyone know who owns the buses? :confused Surely a preservation group would'nt hide stuff like that away to be damaged

Makes you wonder what strainge things you might encounter whenever you explore...

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
100% Train loaded bunkers..... Looks like a typical ammunition storage site to me. Pembrey tram way though??? lol :p

But in all honesty, i think they are wanting to keep this site un-named as it looks liek part of an old preservation company, and there is still lots of tools in one of the photos, and they wouldnt want a cluster fuck of people stealing it all mybe....

I think the thread title gives more than a clue Dempsey!

Off the top of my head, ROF Pembrey was indeed rail fed with a number of MoS storage bunkers in the Pembury Park area. They produced mainly TNT for Bomb/Shell Filling Factories elsewhere, and stored bulk TNT in drums (fairly safe stuff) ready for dispatch as needed.

After the war, it remained open producing explosives & agricultural fertiliser as well as dismantling mainly 4.5" Anti-Aircraft Shells from dumps around the UK (ex AA Sites) & RAF 500lb Aircraft Bombs by boiling the filling out and disposing of it by burning. It finely closed around 1964ish

If you explore the Country Park, many more bunkers and tunnels of differing sizes and shapes can be found as well as track bed and hard standing of demolished buildings.

Last edited:

georgeupstairs

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are similar installations still visible in Kirkby near Liverpool. These were parts of the Royal Ordnance Factory, Kirkby. Some bunkers still have railway track visible leading into them.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Funny you should say that! as ROF Kirkby was a shell filling factory and would have recieved its exsplosive filling in bulk by rail from ROF Pembrey

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Yah, Same as the British Parliment does what it wants, and says Feck Off to the EU....

German Ownership means profits go to Germany, as well as production sometimes.

What is 'English' anymore? Thats why we are in deep shit at the moment.