real time web analytics
Report - - High Royds Asylum - Menston - Feb 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - High Royds Asylum - Menston - Feb 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
Ever since I starting exploring, this has been on my to do list. Living in Hampshire, this was a fair few miles away but eventually a North trip was planned. This was on that trip. Unfortunately it has changed since I first saw reports on this place and has been largely developed and converted. Luckily for me a few good bits are still to be had. Absolutely beautiful building.

History:

High Royds Lunatic Asylum or the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum as it was originally called, is a former psychiatric hospital near the village of Menston in West Yorkshire.
The broad arrow plan asylum features a large array of stone built wards and interconnecting corridors most of which have been demolished leaving the majority of the old wards as independent buildings most now repurposed as modern apartments.

The most grand of these buildings, the old administration block which sits at the head of the complex is Grad II listed and is one of the last remaining buildings to be renovated. This building features a large central clock tower which still functions to this day and the main hallways are covered with Italian Mosaic flooring which is intricately decorated with the Yorkshire Rose and black daisies.
The Asylum opened on the 8th October 1888 and was in full use until a staged closer which began in 2003 following changes to the attitudes towards mental health care in the United Kingdom.

IMG_0164_zpshwbf6cip.jpg

IMG_0101_zpsseva2pab.jpg

IMG_0102_zpsdokuedr4.jpg

IMG_0103_zpsnk6qrzgu.jpg

IMG_0104_zpsprtwlo3u.jpg

IMG_0105_zps5ci4nglg.jpg

IMG_0106_zpsqnxkynha.jpg

IMG_0108_zpsuh0bcpqt.jpg

IMG_0109_zpsgt19j5op.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsimgidoqh.jpg

IMG_0112_zpsp24pnpis.jpg

IMG_0117_zpspuxmkbbb.jpg

IMG_0126_zpsnny7cglz.jpg

IMG_0129_zps1egeoljn.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsxt7knkja.jpg

IMG_0137_zpsrrdainuy.jpg

IMG_0139_zps5vckxwjr.jpg

IMG_0146_zpsplfyrzvi.jpg

IMG_0156_zpsdctykfj3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice shots there mate.

I guess they have given up on Admin now then if they have boarded it up.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Very nice shots there mate.

I guess they have given up on Admin now then if they have boarded it up.

It's still up for conversion. Apparently during half term 30 people were caught in admin so they've sealed it up as a result. Just not every avenue by the looks of things..

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
Jeez mate, you left that soooooo late. Thought you would have been there years ago.
looks like the developers left it too late too!

with all the money spent on the rest of the site why let the admin building get so bad. in 2007 there was like a smallish leak in the roof (thanks to a pikey metal thief as usual) and we were all getting upset over that. I know its not beyond repair, but just seems so unnecessary.

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
It's still up for conversion. Apparently during half term 30 people were caught in admin so they've sealed it up as a result. Just not every avenue by the looks of things..
Yeah the wood was fresh. Round the back it seems they have started work. Brand new equipment and tools in one section.

Jeez mate, you left that soooooo late. Thought you would have been there years ago.
I know lol. Just being lazy and not venturing up to this part of the country.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

with all the money spent on the rest of the site why let the admin building get so bad. in 2007 there was like a smallish leak in the roof (thanks to a pikey metal thief as usual) and we were all getting upset over that. I know its not beyond repair, but just seems so unnecessary.

Don't forget they spent all that money on the outside clean up in 2008 as well. Given how well they've converted the rest (high class finish) you'd have thought they'd made this the piniacle of the whole site. I like the idea of it being turned into a hotel, it would retain more of its original layout.

Yeah the wood was fresh. Round the back it seems they have started work. Brand new equipment and tools in one section.

They are using the kitchens as a paint store at mo.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
It has always been a puzzle what they'd use the admin block for, especially the Hall. I remember there being a listed building application for swanky ass apartments in there, which would probably suit it but it was withdrawn for some reason, possibly cost? Some of them would have a very poor outlook too.

At least the boarding will protect some of the ornate stained glass, some of which has fallen victim to contractors, little stones and weather.

EDIT: here's a link to the withdrawn LBCA https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NC57TZJB17S00

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
It has always been a puzzle what they'd use the admin block for, especially the Hall. I remember there being a listed building application for swanky ass apartments in there, which would probably suit it but it was withdrawn for some reason, possibly cost? Some of them would have a very poor outlook too.

At least the boarding will protect some of the ornate stained glass, some of which has fallen victim to contractors, little stones and weather.

EDIT: here's a link to the withdrawn LBCA https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NC57TZJB17S00

Fair to say admin and the main hall are pretty fucked already. It's really odd they've withdrawn that. I guess this adds to the theory that they'd rather sell that redevelop it.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I bet the locals wont be too happy about it being boarded up now and maybe forgotten, looks a relatively nice area around there..

Nice shots and reports though and always nice to see the clock tower :)

amberdawn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great photos! Love the clock tower!
Just been back there today after several trips, visited the outer buildings that are still left, they were definitely worth it. Tried to get into the main building, and most of the bottom floor had been boarded up which I'm sure has been done in the last couple of weeks, although I definitely saw an entrance point ;) just a shame it's very close to people's houses and they're generally milling around along with the builders. I'd advise if you're gonna go to go sooner rather than later.

YЯKlix

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was here a few weeks back and found a way in just be careful of overlooking apartments "Hint dropped" Get their while their sleeping is the best option .