real time web analytics
Report - - Highams Park Regal Cinema – London – June 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Highams Park Regal Cinema – London – June 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
The history

Located close to Higham’s Park Railway Station in North-East London, The Higham’s Park Electric Theatre opened on 1st April 1911. It was designed by architect W.A. Lewis and had a seating capacity of 550. in 1928 it was re-named The Regal Cinema and further improvements were made to the building in 1933.

In 1935, it was partly rebuilt to the plans of architectural firm Howes & Jackman and it received a new modern Art Deco style facade and entrance foyer. A cafe was also added in the circle foyer along with a Rutt 3Manual/6Ranks organ in the modernised and enlarged auditorium, which now seated 615. The Regal Cinema re-opened on 23rd September 1935 with Irene Dunne in "Sweet Adeline" and W.C. Fields in "It’s A Gift”. Always independently operated, the Regal Cinema was closed on 11th September 1963 with Frank Sinatra in "Some Came Running" and John Bentley in "Escape in the Sun".

It was converted into an independent bingo club, but this was unsuccessful, and films returned on several nights a week, beginning on 23rd February 1964 with Norman Wisdom in "A Stitch In Time". By April 1964, bingo had been dropped and full time cinema use resumed. The Regal Cinema finally closed on 27th April 1971 with Paul Newman in "Exodus".

It became a bingo club again, this time using only the circle seating area. The stalls area was used as a snooker hall. Later, the bingo operation ceased and Regals London Snooker Club operated in the auditorium, while a bar operated from the former foyer. The Rutt organ is now housed in the St Albans Organ Theatre, St Albans, Hertfordshire, where it is played on a regular basis.

In August 2014 the owners of the building (a security firm) proposed plans to convert the building into their head office. However, in March 2015 they decided it was too small, and proposals were made to convert the building into a 50-seat cinema. By May 2016 nothing more had been heard of this proposal and the building sat vacant.

The Explore

Been after this one for a while and whilst out and about in the area with @slayaaaa and SQ we decided to have a look. For once we struck lucky and found a way in. The excitement was off the scale as having checked this a number of times we never expected to actually get in.

The excitement soon died as we realised the place was not what we expected. All of the original fixtures and fittings had gone and we couldn’t get to the art deco frontage. It appeared to have been bricked up crudely from the inside and covered with plasterboard to make the back wall of the new snooker club.

While we were having a relaxing game of pool I decided to stick my head up through the suspended ceiling and see what was going on up there. The excitement returned a little and we could see how the place may have looked in its heyday. The red walls and gold fittings still remained above the ceiling but had all been stripped and decorated over below.

It wasn’t the easiest place to photograph so sorry for the bad pics

38142075064_53892d9017_z.jpg

38142075064_be9e63a24d_z.jpg

38857786031_281a4183f2_b.jpg

24985780578_753e6f7ba2_b.jpg

24985777348_7ea0f575fe_b.jpg

24985779328_9478f43128_b.jpg

38857784551_b2dc9dd8ce_b.jpg

24985773908_cfb12dc922_b.jpg

24985780578_8a177bb0e5_b.jpg
24985773908_c3182307d9_b.jpg

Last edited:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
More to see here surely! No way to the back of the stage or to the circle...? Did it still have a circle?

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
To be honest after seeing that last pic it's alot clearer what's gone on. It still doesn't really match up with the descriptions online of bingo upstairs and snooker downstairs unless there's some kind of circle thats partitioned off tho.

It became a bingo club again, this time using only the circle seating area. The stalls area was used as a snooker hall.

Later, the bingo operation ceased and Regals London Snooker Club continues today in the auditorium, while a bar operates from the former foyer.

Suggests to me the front entrance may have been for the upstairs bar and the back entrance for the snooker? May explain the lack of much to see if you couldnt get through into the 30s bit at the front. Its on my list for another look one day anyway.

mockney reject

Staff member
To be honest after seeing that last pic it's alot clearer what's gone on. It still doesn't really match up with the descriptions online of bingo upstairs and snooker downstairs unless there's some kind of circle thats partitioned off tho.

Suggests to me the front entrance may have been for the upstairs bar and the back entrance for the snooker? May explain the lack of much to see if you couldnt get through into the 30s bit at the front. Its on my list for another look one day anyway.

Please have another look, we were baffled by it if I'm honest

King Chimp

28DL Member
28DL Member
Yo ima fairly new explorer in East London and I'm wondering if this site is still available for exploration?

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Looks to be being converted into a nightclub, those neons are very new

Who has read this thread (Total: 198) View details