real time web analytics
Report - - Highmoor Church, Oxfordshire, February 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Highmoor Church, Oxfordshire, February 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks to Paul Powers for his recent posting listing disused churches. I decided to pay this church a visit as it is very local to me, and thought it worth a look. I realise this may not be everyone's cup of tea, since it has only recently shut and become disused, but thought I would post a report anyway, as I don't recall seeing too many churches on here.

Some history:
St Pauls Church was built in 1859 as a Chapel of Ease by the Vicar of Rotherfield Peppard to cater for the wider rural population of the parish. Highmoor became a separate parish but over the last 160 years the congregation has, like many rural parishes, dwindled as a result of which the Oxford Diocese and the Church Commissioners decided to close the Church in a pastoral order in 2011; this became effective in June 2012, after a five year period of consultations with the Parish and local community. The Diocese are now looking to find a new use for the building and are inviting interest from parties who believe they could purchase the building and convert it sympathetically to a new and viable use to ensure the long term survival of this period building, preserving the key features such as the stained glass windows.

file-40.jpg

file-47.jpg

file-45.jpg

file-43.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-39.jpg

file-20.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-12.jpg