real time web analytics
Hitler's U-boat Bunkers | canute | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hitler's U-boat Bunkers

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Hitler's U-boat Bunkers [Paperback] by
Jak P. Mallmann Showell

These are some incredible structures, some of which still survive in France and possibly Norway. Some superb images but my copy has not much detail on what’s visible today, but that can be found out with a bit of research (I think the new edition may have added a gazetteer).

During the Second World War, German U-boats played a central role in offensive operations across the world's oceans. In the battle of the Atlantic, U-boats were pitched against Allied merchant ships to prevent vital supplies being brought to Britain - Hitler's undersea fleet brought Britain to the brink of capitulation. This is the first comprehensive guide in English to the bases that lay behind this deadly operation. Hitler ordered these bases to be constructed at strategically crucial sites, where the U-boats were berthed and repaired, and from where they sailed forth on their war patrols. Many of these monolithic structures still exist today in all their menacing glory, despite suffering repeated attempts by Allied bombers to destroy them. This book provides a concise historical background to the rise of the Nazi U-boat fleet, and the part it played in the Second World War. The author examines in detail how and why each of the bases in France, Germany and Norway were designed and built, and how they were defended against attack, while listing which boats were based where and when. A comprehensive gazetteer reveals what is left to see today of these massive structures at each of the sites.

Hitler's U-boat Bunkers: Amazon.co.uk: Showell, Jak P: 9780750945554: Books

tommo

shire lad born & breeding
28DL Full Member
cheers fella, just ordered my copy, was tempted to get the "fortress" book as well but i guess they wil be the same, they are normally good books though

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
cheers fella, just ordered my copy, was tempted to get the "fortress" book as well but i guess they wil be the same, they are normally good books though

Yeah they're good - always wish they were a bit longer though

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
have u read the "fortress" maginot line one, just wondered what its like before i splash out

Yeah it's good, the best I've found so far in English - Fortress France (Fortress France: The Maginot Line and French Defenses in World War II (Stackpole Military History Series): Amazon.co.uk: Kaufmann, J. E., Kaufmann, H. W.: 0011557033953: Books ) has more on the history but I find the Fortress series one (The Maginot Line 1928-45: No. 10 (Fortress): Amazon.co.uk: Allcorn, William, Vanelle, Jeff, Boulanger, Vincent: 9781841766461: Books) gives one a better idea of what to expect with its plans and the odd cutaway

tommo

shire lad born & breeding
28DL Full Member
Yeah it's good, the best I've found so far in English - Fortress France (Fortress France: The Maginot Line and French Defenses in World War II (Stackpole Military History Series): Amazon.co.uk: Kaufmann, J. E., Kaufmann, H. W.: 0011557033953: Books ) has more on the history but I find the Fortress series one (The Maginot Line 1928-45: No. 10 (Fortress): Amazon.co.uk: Allcorn, William, Vanelle, Jeff, Boulanger, Vincent: 9781841766461: Books) gives one a better idea of what to expect with its plans and the odd cutaway

wicked will sort some more out then :thumb