real time web analytics
HMP Holloway, London - August 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

HMP Holloway, London - August 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
HM Prison Holloway was a closed category prison for adult women and young offenders in Holloway, London, England, operated by Her Majesty's Prison Service. It was the largest women's prison in western Europe until its closure in 2016. Until 1991, the Prison was staffed by Home Office appointed, female Prison Officers. However, The first 'Male, basic grade' Prison Officer to be posted to HMP Holloway in its history, was Prison Officer (Trg) Thomas Ainsworth, who joined the establishment direct from HMP College Wakefield in May 1991.

Holloway prison was opened in 1852 as a mixed-sex prison, but due to growing demand for space for female prisoners, particularly due to the closure of Newgate, it became female-only in 1903.

Holloway was used to imprison suffragettes including Constance Markievicz (imprisoned for her part in the Irish Rebellion) Charlotte Despard, Mary Richardson, Dora Montefiore, Hanna Sheehy-Skeffington, and Ethel Smyth.

After the death from suicide in January 2016 of inmate Sarah Reed, a paranoid schizophrenic being held on remand, the subsequent inquest in July 2017 identified failings in the care system. Shortly after Reed died, a report concluded she was unfit to plead at a trial.

Holloway Prison was completely rebuilt between 1971 and 1985 on the same site. The redevelopment resulted in the loss of the "grand turreted" gateway to the prison, which had been built in 1851; architectural critic Gavin Stamp later regretted the loss and noted that the climate of opinion at the time was such that the Victorian Society felt unable to object.

Holloway Prison held female adults and young offenders remanded or sentenced by the local courts. Accommodation at the prison was mostly single cells; however, there was also some dormitory accommodation.

Holloway Prison offered both full-time and part-time education to inmates, with courses including skills training workshops, British Industrial Cleaning Science (BICS), gardening, and painting.

There was a family-friendly visitors' centre, run by the Prison Advice and Care Trust (pact), an independent charity.

2dU4rLRh.jpg

l0pxHTqh.jpg

1Hsx4hch.jpg

DuVT1Fxh.jpg

BET6sYwh.jpg

SCRR4yBh.jpg

ie5gsKVh.jpg

FLdlxlfh.jpg

2UjohRlh.jpg

P2iHCMeh.jpg

f4DnpIJh.jpg

otbdzMzh.jpg

ukTzemUh.jpg

VlM2LK3h.jpg

tI3nqyPh.jpg

b2x4hbah.jpg

v0VfK26h.jpg

OurbiqIh.jpg

qSZ2G7wh.jpg

eauNC9bh.jpg

1IzlAPSh.jpg

TggMxkTh.jpg

sFpkhZhh.jpg

ubhpK0Kh.jpg

t1pwn2ph.jpg

Ijfzn38h.jpg

hQIyFRMh.jpg

xRopIEmh.jpg

TdyEEVgh.jpg

p7PsiuAh.jpg

Continued...

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
True...nobody said that...
From my perspective, it wasn’t. I didn’t put the hard work in, my best mate prettyvacant71 did, she made this happen and I should’ve credited her in my post. We had been conspiring this for well over a year, before it ever appeared online, but it’s not uncommon for one of to text the other with a mad last min idea and before you know it... ; )

Who has read this thread (Total: 248) View details