real time web analytics
Report - - HMS Bronnington (M1115), Birkenhead - September 2011. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Bronnington (M1115), Birkenhead - September 2011.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

HMS Bronnington (M1115), Birkenhead

Ojay/Leaf/Xan/Ex0/Tweek/Kromax

1.jpg

HMS Bronington (M1115) is one of the last conventionally built minesweeping vessels to be ordered by the Royal Navy

Constructed by Cook Welton & Gemmel at Hull and Beverley she is one of the Coniston class of minesweepers which were constructed between 1951 and 1959

She was named H.M.S. Humber and was stationed with the 10th M.S.S. R.N.R. In 1958 she was commissioned as Bronington and sent to the 100th M.S.S

In 1965 she was converted into a minehunter at Rosyth and stationed with the 1st M.C.M.S. In 1974 she was refitted at Gibraltar and then returned to Rosyth to rejoin the 1st M.C.M.S

HRH The Prince of Wales was in command for most of 1976

Between 1980 and 1984 she was serving with the 2nd M.C.M.S and with STANAVFORCHAN

All were constructed with timber hulls and alloy upperparts, and were powered by 2 Mirrles Blackstone diesels of 2500 hp driving two shafts and giving 15 knots at maximum speed

Weapons fit varied but was normally 1 x 40mm Bofors and 2 x 20mm Oerlikon’s. Minehunters normally carried just 1 x 40mm Bofors

After being decommissioned from service, the ship was purchased in January 1989 by the Bronington Trust, a registered charity, whose patron Charles, Prince of Wales commanded this vessel in 1976

For some time, the ship was berthed in the historic Manchester Ship Canal at Trafford Park, Manchester

In 2002, she became part of the collection of the Warship Preservation Trust and moored at Birkenhead, Merseyside, England

Since the closure of the Warship Preservation Trust, she remains in storage, now berthed at Wallasey dock awaiting her fate

I find it annoying that there is no place for these ships anymore, and that ultimately they end up being scrapped :mad:

I'm just glad I bothered to make the effort to see her before she's just a memory to many her served her

Thanks for looking :thumb

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I just couldn't resist climbing up the mast :p

6.jpg

Bridge

7.jpg

Operations Room

8.jpg

Wireless Telegraphy Office

9.jpg

Commanding Officers Cabin - HRH The Prince Of Wales (1976)

10.jpg

11.jpg

Galley

12.jpg

13.jpg

Petty Officers Mess

14.jpg

Workshop

15.jpg

Royal Shitter

16.jpg

Memorabilia

17.jpg

Gyro Room

18.jpg

Main Engine Room

19.jpg

We just had to to this.. 6 of us somewhere on here ;)

20.jpg