real time web analytics
Report - - HMS Bronnington, Sept 11 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Bronnington, Sept 11

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Visited with tweek

deathwarmedup.jpg

The last time I saw Xan, ex0 and Kromax,was a great day in the smelly oily confines of the former Mobil oil refinery. In and amongst the days banter, they mentioned a certain vessel docked in the area they had their eye on. This vessel turned out to be the Bronnigton, a 60 old mahogany bottomed minesweeper currently undergoing 'repairs' at Birkenhead docks, and it wasn't long after that I got an email containing nothing but a link, a smily face and the word 'enjoy'…
After tweek came back from the east float with a big grin on his face, I figured it was time I got in the car and made another journey out to the wirral.

On the way, we visited the Eccels Theatre - a dilapidated old thing with no roof on the way to the M60, last touched by Speed and Dweeb in July. A trip back in the day time is probably on the cards, didn't get anything of note as there were way to many clouds to get away with moonlight alone. Dropping out the theatre we moved on the Wirral and pitched up at the docks.

bron.jpg

bron29.jpg

Thanks tonnes to Xan for the heads up on this one. Much appreciated mate :)

History:
From http://users.breathe.com/g8hxe/hms_bronington.htm
HMS Bronington.
HMS Bronington (M1115) is one of the last conventionally built minesweeping vessels to be ordered by the Royal Navy. She is one of the Coniston class of minesweepers which were constructed**between 1951 and 1959. They are one of the most numerous class of ships to* have served in the Royal Navy. All were constructed with timber hulls and alloy upperparts, and were powered by 2 Mirrles Blackstone diesels of 2500 hp, with later ships being fitted with 2 Deltic diesels of 3500 hp, both driving two shafts and giving 15 knots at maximum speed. Weapons* fit varied but was normally 1 x 40mm Bofors and 2 x 20mm Oerlikon’s.* Minehunters normally* carried just 1 x 40mm Bofors
The Bronington* was constructed by Cook Welton & Gemmel at Hull and * Beverley. She was laid down in 1951 and launched in 1954. She was named H.M.S. Humber* and was stationed with the 10th M.S.S. R.N.R. In 1958 she was commissioned as Bronington* and sent to the 100th M.S.S. In 1965 she was converted into a minehunter at Rosyth and 
stationed with the 1st M.C.M.S. In 1974 she was refitted at Gibraltar and then returned to * Rosyth to rejoin the 1st M.C.M.S.

HRH The Prince of Wales was in command for most of 1976.
Between 1980 and 1984 she was serving* with the 2nd M.C.M.S and with STANAVFORCHAN.
She was eventually taken out of service in 1988 was then owned by the Bronington Trust until mid 2002 when she was passed to the Warship Preservation Trust and moved from Salford Quays to Birkenhead.
Further information and details of opening times, can be obtained from HMS Belfast Cruiser

bron28.jpg

The lower decks are damp, really damp. The thing is rotten and slowly sinking into the docks.
bron27.jpg

Mine defusal unit!
bron26.jpg

bron25.jpg

Records back to the 50's
bron24.jpg

bron23.jpg

how to do a war.
bron22.jpg

Fear Nought!
bron21.jpg

bron20.jpg