real time web analytics
Report - - HMS Forward, New Haven, 05/06/2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Forward, New Haven, 05/06/2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanginger

Ginger til I die
28DL Full Member
After being promised a mint deep shelter i wasnt disappointed with HMS Forward. Was nice to get out of Kent and meet some new faces.

Visited with Wevsky, Space Invader, Fortknox0, Monk, Canute, Rookinella and Lawrence.

Some history

In March 1941, an Admiralty direction ordered specified Channel ports to establish and maintain naval plots in conjunction with a coastal radar chain giving surface coverage from the Dover area. This spread to Newhaven and, to protect the plot and communications equipment, it was decided to burrow deep into Heighton Hill.

These wartime tunnels were excavated by the Royal Engineers 172nd Tunnelling Coy, beneath Glynde Estates and other private property from 3rd June to November 1941 under Emergency Powers Legislation for the Defence of the Realm. They were neither recorded nor registered at the time for reasons of absolute security. Following the war the MOD paid compensation to the landowner(s), and the tunnel became private property.

The mass of equipment required for intelligence gathering, interpretation, and dissemination, was assembled sixty feet below ground. The principal operational entrance, situated in room 16 of the Guinness Trust Holiday Home gave access via one hundred and twenty two steps to an impenetrable fortress and the most sophisticated contemporary communications devices.

Plan of the shelter

hms_forward_plan.jpg

And some of my pics

hmsforward033.jpg
hmsforward035.jpg
hmsforward036.jpg
hmsforward048.jpg
hmsforward053.jpg
hmsforward060.jpg
hmsforward064.jpg
hmsforward065.jpg
hmsforward073.jpg