real time web analytics
Report - - HMS Forward, South Heighton - March 2014. | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Forward, South Heighton - March 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Having missed out when this place was last open a few years ago, when I saw Ojay's recent report I hightailed it down there before missing out again.

Dug out by the Royal Engineers in 1941 these tunnels were not recorded or registered in order to keep them secret.

The MOD and the Imperial War museum denied of their existence until 1993.

Upon its abandonment after the war, legal ownership of the labyrinth passed to the original landowners. When in 1972 the housing estate was built over the top of it Lewes council commissioned a report on the tunnels before building commenced.
They conveniently forgot to inform anybody about the tunnels and since denied they knew anything about them. This meant that the owners of these new properties became the unwitting owners of the tunnels.

When it was revealed to the homeowners they were not happy about having these tunnels under their properties and called for the government to fill them in. Surely a far better idea would of been to call a few mates up and build your own slope shaft?

The Friends of HMS Forward researched, restored and reopened the tunnels for tours, but for legal reasons had to stop these activities so now only unofficial tours take place.

IMG_7392.jpg

IMG_7397.jpg

IMG_7400.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
it looks great, worth visiting for sure! thanks for sharing!

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Good work, I'm glad so many people are getting to see this place.

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Now sealed :(

Just been there again and the access has been repaired, must have been done today

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Now sealed :(

Just been there again and the access has been repaired, must have been done today

Knew it wouldn't last, good to see more people got a look in, now need to organise retrieving my headtorch :D

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Knew it wouldn't last, good to see more people got a look in, now need to organise retrieving my headtorch :D

Yeah, judging by other local places the local chav kids were bound to find it at some point and that would have alerted someone.
Torch has dried out nicely:thumb

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah cheers, I'll sort something out with you as soon as I'm in a position to do so :)