real time web analytics
Report - - HMS Ganges - May 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Ganges - May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

celardore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello again.

I'm sure this site is familiar to most on this site, so I will be unlikely to provide any insight into the place that isn't already known.

Long story short; it's an old naval base that used to train primarily 15 year old boys straight from school, back when that was the leaving age - up until 1976, when the school leaving age was raised to 16. I am not sure why this would result in the mothballing of an entire facility, because the kids are now 16 instead of 15?

The history of the site is fascinating, and I am not trying to handwave here, but there is better history out there than what I can provide. Especially as our visit got cut short.
I like the song by "Shep Woolley - The Long Covered Way". Clearly about Shotley / Ganges. I can tell you that it is a Bloody Big Mast.

We only managed to explore the mess halls this time. It was our first visit. We did get caught and persuaded away from the site. Incidentally, now's as good a time as any to get some cardio done.

This is a view alongside the messes towards Nelson Hall in the foreground
IMG_20210502_165720098_HDR.jpg

We happened upon these things on our way to the dining hall
IMG_20210502_165813320.jpg

Guessing the pink areas were for ladies. Because all ladies like pink. Fact.
IMG_20210502_165834790_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210502_165843111.jpg

I feel like everyone who has been here has taken pretty much exactly this photo. It is quite a stunning open space, to be fair.

IMG_20210502_165927904_HDR.jpg

Inside this hatch is an incredible amount of quano and dead pigeons.
IMG_20210502_170007957.jpg

Inside that room is piles of bird skeletons. I will refrain from posting the picture.

This place was all about food, getting the boys fed, avoiding wastage and breakage. This spot would have been so busy every day.
IMG_20210502_170220495.jpg

The mast and Felixstowe in the background.
IMG_20210502_170320842_HDR.jpg

This is where the various "meals" were piped into the "galley"
IMG_20210502_170357981.jpg

This room felt like a level in Portal 2
IMG_20210502_170850996_HDR.jpg

A door store room. There was also a room full of toilets, and another full of bathtubs.
IMG_20210502_171021228_HDR.jpg

The weird ducks in the dining room.

IMG_20210502_171939769_HDR.jpg

Here's a bar we found.

IMG_20210502_172527235_HDR.jpg

I later found out from family, that my former grandad used to manage the bars at Ganges for a time. His name was Pat / Paddy Rea. I wonder what he would think of this view.

IMG_20210502_172437889_HDR.jpg

We got a look at this building next.
IMG_20210502_172929256_HDR.jpg

It is around here we met the security guard and promptly vacated the premises. We'd love to go back for a deeper dive into areas such as the pool.

I hope you enjoyed our little trip together, there's always more next time.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Decent report, did u do the pool,? that seems the most popular thing there.
I do hope them doors get reclaimed!

celardore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Decent report, did u do the pool,? that seems the most popular thing there.
I do hope them doors get reclaimed!

Unfortunately not. We got caught by security just before that point. For reasons I won't get into here, I suspect they were aware of us before we even entered the site.

We do want to go back, there is so much left unexplored, let alone the pool.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Unfortunately not. We got caught by security just before that point. For reasons I won't get into here, I suspect they were aware of us before we even entered the site.

We do want to go back, there is so much left unexplored, let alone the pool.

Shame that, were they ok with u?
They were incredibly lapse when we were there, we couldnt of made much more noise getting into the sports hall right behind their hut & they didnt bat an eyelid!

celardore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shame that, were they ok with u?
They were incredibly lapse when we were there, we couldnt of made much more noise getting into the sports hall right behind their hut & they didnt bat an eyelid!

We are sure the guy knew we were there before we even entered the site. Just as we were about to get to the pool, he shouted at us to get off the site. We ran away. We could have handled it better. It was our first photo explore so mistakes were made.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We are sure the guy knew we were there before we even entered the site. Just as we were about to get to the pool, he shouted at us to get off the site. We ran away. We could have handled it better. It was our first photo explore so mistakes were made.

running away is better than getting caught, he prob didnt want the hassle either hence why he shouted rather than sneak up & catch u in there

celardore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
running away is better than getting caught, he prob didnt want the hassle either hence why he shouted rather than sneak up & catch u in there

We've talked about this since. My mate just decided to leg it once we were caught, so I didn't really have much choice but to follow. This turned out to be a bad plan, as we are both on the back nine, and unfit.

Would it have been better to put our hands up and engage with the guard? On one hand, he might appreciate that we're not vandals, but on the other; he's probably fed up of all us explorers by this point.

I guess he doesn't want anyone on the site at all, because it is quite dangerous. I'm sure we're all sensible, but if you went in alone and broke your ankle you'd be fucked.

celardore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it has, there is plant machinery on site, so security really try to keep people out.

We did explore some of the buildings closer to the river in March, but I think the pool etc. is off limits now.

Who has read this thread (Total: 282) View details