Report - - HMS Plymouth, Wirral, Aug 2012 (6 weeks before deconstruction) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Plymouth, Wirral, Aug 2012 (6 weeks before deconstruction)

The Kwan

Easily Led
Regular User
two images thanks to wikipedia

Yes sadly it looks inevitable that this grand old girl is going to be towed to turkey and scrapped, with this in mind we felt that a last visit was in order so myself, Clough, sammydoublewhammy and Geovdub set off for a bimble aboard.

I learnt a few lessons on this night mainly that Sammy has a huge repetoiur (spelt wrong) of foreign accents from Turkish to russian,italian to spanish, you name it and they all sound Scottish...funny that:D

Clough is as noisy as fuck, especially when in stealth mode...truth :thumb

and geovdub has the hairiest arse in the western hemisphere...overheard the convo:D

and apart from all of these lads being about 6 ft 6" and making me feel like a dwarf, they are funny as fuck and I aint laughed so much in a long while:)

Anyhow some history shamlessly stolen from Sammy

During her lifetime, Plymouth served in a variety of locations, including the Far East and Australia. She saw action in the Cod Wars between the United Kingdom and Iceland and also the Falklands War in 1982.
Plymouth was one of the first Royal Navy ships to arrive in the South Atlantic following the Argentine invasion of theFalkland Islands and South Georgia. Plymouth alongside Antrim, Brilliant and Endurance took part in the recapturing of South Georgia on 28 April during Operation Paraquet. Plymouth landed Royal Marines from her Westland Wasp helicopters and bombarded Argentine troop positions on the island. Later her Wasp helicopter took part in an attack on the Argentinian submarine Santa Fe, which was badly damaged and later captured by Royal Marines. Plymouth rejoined the task force and supported troops on the ground by bombarding Argentine troop positions with her 4.5-inch (114 mm) guns.
On June 8, Plymouth was attacked by Dagger fighter bombers of FAA Grupo 6. Able Seaman Phil Orr fired her Sea Cat missile system at them, claiming the destruction of two aircraft. Later it was determined that no Dagger was lost in action that day.
Plymouth was hit by four bombs and several cannon shells. One bomb hit the flight deck, detonating a depth charge and starting a fire, one went straight through her funnel and two more destroyed her Limbo anti-submarine mortar. MEM's John Fearon, David Rance, Gary Borthwick, Robin Cunningham, Alan Harsent, Ray Potts and kevin Gallagher were part of the damage control and fire fighting teams crucial to saving yht ship. All of the bombs failed to explode. Five men were injured in the attack.
The wardroom of the Plymouth was where the surrender of Argentine Forces in South Georgia was signed by Lieutenant Alfredo Astiz.She returned to Rosyth Dockyard after the war for full repair and refit
The following year, Plymouth served as the West Indies guard ship. On 11 March 1984 Plymouth was involved in a collision with the German Köln-class frigate Braunschweig and in 1986 she suffered a boiler room fire, killing two sailors.

firstly some video of the explore
and some more from my first visit
and some pics

Plymouth today

and in better times

This wardroom on The HMS Plymouth is where the Argentines signed the surrender document
NOW, the original tables are in the background

AND THEN, The Argentine surrender

CC switchroom

Paxman jennies

Officers cabins

Turning gear in the engine room

The stbd engine


some mortar bombs...unarmed ofcourse


Beer on the bar..unopened but out of date


thanks for looking:thumb


Last edited:

Similar threads