real time web analytics
Report - - Holding Brother's Pottery Oswaldthwistle March 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holding Brother's Pottery Oswaldthwistle March 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
I was using the search box looking for reports from potteries in Staffs for a visit when a couple of reports on this place turned up, i liked the look of it so decided on a trip to Oswaldwhistle on the outskirts of Blackburn.
I wish i had seen this a year or so back as it's very much worse for wear and due to being wide open to the elements nature has taken it's toll.
Still there are a few features worth seeing and the house itself is still littered with personal photo's a documents of the owners.
It's still a nice relaxed mooch and made a decent trip out

Holding's Country Pottery was founded in 1842 by James Holding, but it was not originally located on *********** where it is now. The original pottery was built a short distance away in Gaulkthorn, another outlying area of Oswaldtwistle. In 1860 James Holding moved his business to Broadfield, then in 1900 his son Grimshaw Holding set up the pottery on the present site. From then on the pottery stayed put and the business passed down from father to son until it's decline.
Originally it was powered by a steam engine (not longer in situ) but the line shafting is still present.

pottery-26r.jpg

potteryr.jpg

pottery-2r.jpg
pottery-22r.jpg

pottery-3r.jpg

pottery-7r.jpg

pottery-11r.jpg

pottery-12r.jpg
pottery-8r.jpg

pottery-13r.jpg

pottery-14r.jpg

pottery-18r.jpg