real time web analytics
Report - - Hollingbourne Zero Station, Kent - September 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hollingbourne Zero Station, Kent - September 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Minor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro:

2am, Alarm rings. We're not getting beaten this time....

After failing to gain entry to site on a planned visit, myself, @UrbanZ, @Dora Grew Up and a non-member devised a plan to hit as many sites as possible on a 150 mile route covering three counties in one day which, with a lot of research, turned out to be much easier than expected.

Explore:

This was the last site on the list and very easily accessible.
Although extremely small and not much inside, except an overabundance of huge cave spiders and egg sacks hanging from the ceiling in tear shaped white pendants, I thought I'd upload some images as i couldn't see this site listed on 28DL.
Hollingbourne Zero station is also identical in design to other examples still accessible in Sussex and Hampshire, the only difference being the length of the emergency exit tunnel hidden behind a bookshelf in case the main entrance was located by the Germans.

Apologies for the quality and lack of images, but this place was literally covered in hundreds and hundreds of cave spiders which shit me up big time, and I just wanted to get out of there.

History (partially stolen from Subbrit):

The Special Duties Organisation was formed after the sabotage side of the resistance had been established, and members were not informed of any other SDO patrols.
Their main role involved radio communications and spying, and their headquarters were located at Hannington Hall, Hannington, Wiltshire.

Unlike the sabotage-minded patrols, both men and women could be chosen for the task of spying. The main people recruited for this role were people whose jobs allowed plenty of movement - doctors, midwives, postmen, vicars and farm workers. These people were trained separately in their own areas, being taught how to make simple intelligence reports. In the event of a German invasion they would have carried on their usual business or routine, making reports of any German troop movements, or anything else of interest they had observed. Once a report was completed the spy needed to pass the information on to a radio operator. This was achieved by use of a secret 'letter box'. This could take many forms. For instance, an old tin can or hole in a tree or under a rock could be adopted. All that was required was a place where the report could be hidden and be accessible to the radio operator.

Now, onto the images:

Surface vent indicating we were close.
29613293435_e3e79bc098_c.jpg

Looking through the main entrance into the first room.
28989508983_de609edc20_c.jpg

Second room.
29502959932_3965dcc7b7_c.jpg

Ventilation pipes in third room.
28987467294_1980a96877_c.jpg

Looking into the final room in the main chamber. There would have been a bookcase covering this escape tunnel, which unfortunately is long gone.
28989493373_e8e2e71fd8_c.jpg

One of the many cave spiders (can see egg sacks in the background)
29322889490_7842515de6_c.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited:

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
This is nice! I visited the one in Staplefield recently and this one looks very similar indeed. Shame its pretty empty now.