real time web analytics
Report - - Hollings Mill, Bradford. March 21 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hollings Mill, Bradford. March 21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

Edward Hill & Co Ltd is a textile manufacturing company based in Bradford, England. The company has been in business since the 1980's and prides itself on being one of the last major manufacturing companies of handknitting yarns in the UK. The majority of the yarns are processed in the mill; either spun or balled and packed.

Hollings Mill has been a working mill since 1830 and is now owned by Mark Hill, Edward Hill's son. The company produces beautiful handknitting and craft yarns and still uses some of the original machinery.

Part of the mill is still in use and is run single-handedly. Mark Hill is the one-man band behind The Bradford Sock Company. Since launching four years ago, his sock production has been from a single machine in the premises of Edward Hill & Co Ltd, the knitting wool firm founded by his father in the 1980s, which he took on just over a decade ago.

The red areas highlighted below are the ones we gained access to. One part of the complex is still in use whereas other parts still lay empty. Some of the buildings are partially converted.
There was talk of them becoming student accommodation however this proposal was denied.

@Esoteric Eric and I had a lovely mooch about this local mill which was surprisingly nicer than we anticipated.

The Map

map.jpg

The building bottom left is occupied by the sock maker. The top left looked empty however there was no access. The top right buildings are partially converted.

Building 1 - workshops

IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6366-HDR.jpg

IMG_6363-HDR.jpg

IMG_6356-HDR.jpg

Building 2 - Boiler house

IMG_6376-HDR.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

Building 3 - Weaving sheds

IMG_6401-HDR.jpg

IMG_6405-HDR.jpg

IMG_6409-HDR.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

Building 4 - Mill storage areas

IMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6392-HDR.jpg

IMG_6396-HDR.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

All in all a lovely little mooch. Thanks for looking, UD. :)

IMG_6382.jpg

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's rather nice - I walked round the outside of this on my one and only trip to Bradford and couldn't figure out how much was actually in use.
Yeah I think as we all know with most mills it’s always hard to tell what is and isnt in use. Seems most of the bits that look empty here are actually empty for once lol

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Yeh, photogenic seems to be the word! Shame no big work floor of green machines though, which will be my hope for everything in Bradford now!

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeh, photogenic seems to be the word! Shame no big work floor of green machines though, which will be my hope for everything in Bradford now!
Yes I am still hoping for this too. We will find one im sure of it ahha

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
We stumbled across this one last year but didnt find a way into the boilers. Will have to pop back!

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ive walked past this dozens of times over the years and like others wasnt sure what was in use maybe should have looked more closely. Well done though on actually getting in and yes a visit to Bradford might just be on the cards at some point in the future. Great report btw.

Who has read this thread (Total: 348) View details