real time web analytics
Report - - Holloway, Holloway Extension, High Level and Ratcliff Storm Reliefs (aka Heavy Mettle), London 2018 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holloway, Holloway Extension, High Level and Ratcliff Storm Reliefs (aka Heavy Mettle), London 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Soz, was trying to keep it to two pages and this was one pic that was sacrificed! It's a weird way of preventing the thames from entering the storm relief while still allowing storm flows to get through. Not quite sure if they are duckbill valves. I've never seen one from inside before. They pulse when the tide moves them and we could hear it lapping against the other side. They're strange that's for sure. Don't know why they removed the old flaps as it's not getting connected to tideway. It's confusingly referred to as the holloway in this link as well - it's the ratcliff

https://anonw.com/2015/05/10/thames...ruction-site-at-bekesbourne-street-limehouse/

Work should have started here now. We might be able to find out at some point soon. Ojay put a cool 3d image of this end in his report.

46567425392_5e100a5b92_b.jpg

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Soz, was trying to keep it to two pages and this was one pic that was sacrificed! It's a weird way of preventing the thames from entering the storm relief while still allowing storm flows to get through. Not quite sure if they are duckbill valves. I've never seen one from inside before. They pulse when the tide moves them and we could hear it lapping against the other side. They're strange that's for sure. Don't know why they removed the old flaps as it's not getting connected to tideway. It's confusingly referred to as the holloway in this link as well - it's the ratcliff

https://anonw.com/2015/05/10/thames...ruction-site-at-bekesbourne-street-limehouse/

Work should have started here now. We might be able to find out at some point soon.

46567425392_5e100a5b92_b.jpg
That’s a great pic and makes a lot more sense now, thank you. I’m glad I asked!

tallginge

Regular User
Found these at the archives as well :D Holloway SR gradient (or inclination) is 1 in 4000. No wonder its full of silt, jeez. Holloway Extension gradient 1 in 130 - that ought to keep it going.....Note the poo slide hasn't been built yet and the catch box beneath the ventilation grill. Again, if anyone wants the original photos just ask

49823498892_bc0ed4447d_b.jpg

49822647373_c1313f4580_b.jpg

49823181316_29586d5ddd_b.jpg

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Just read this report again from the comfort of my office chair with a nice cold beer and relived the fun of the trips we had to this drain.
It was a seriously long old trip from the twin tunnel section east of ORLY all the way down to the Thames at Limehouse via Hackney.
Here's a pic I found online of the outfall to the Thames at low tide.

KCM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top class report, with great info and super pics. Just amazing what lies below our feet. Amazing world of drains. Thank you so much. Keep Safe..

tallginge

Regular User
Yeah, was a particularly long trip this one and i thoroughly enjoyed its rankness! 5 miles underground that day including the pill. Feet were aching the following day that's for sure

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, looks like duckbill valves. Perhaps the wooden (?) flap that was there before needing replacing, and this was a more long term replacement. That shiny new metal thing must last a long time?

Who has read this thread (Total: 228) View details