real time web analytics
Report - - Hollybush Mine, Gastard, Wiltshire - January 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hollybush Mine, Gastard, Wiltshire - January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
A very small Bathstone mine in Wiltshire, but I think it has yet to appear on these forums, so for the purpose of completeness here’s a short report. The mine has interesting historical graffiti relating to the Second Boer War and artifacts present.

HISTORY

Hollybush Mine consists of one slope shaft, an air shaft and about two hundred yards of passage. The air shaft would have been a trial shaft, sunk to test the quality of the stone. It seems that the shaft was sunk in an area where the stone was good so a slope shaft was built. Rails were installed to move the stone and a lot of preparation went into the mine.

It was later found out that the stone was poor and fractured. This meant that it was impossible to cut a large block and so it was impossible to economically compete with other stone companies. This explains why the mine is so small. Hollybush was only worked for two years and closed on December 11th 1902. Rubbish was tipped down the slope shaft to cover up the embarrassment. The vertical shaft has been capped leaving no trace on the surface.

Surprisingly well hidden and getting here involves hacking through brambles and nettles - would be tricky in the summer. Mrs Bertrina Bollockbrains injured herself getting here and whinged a lot.

01_zps75lg9dt8.jpg

Small shack at the top of the slope shaft

02_zpsfqewbcow.jpg

Scramble down the rubbish-strewn slope shaft and you find yourself at a T-junction with passages running left and right leading to dead ends.

04_zps1bozbsj3.jpg

08_zpsvhpk73bo.jpg

06_zpskrzvubrx.jpg

07_zpsiwlg3o1o.jpg

Graffiti relating to the closure of the mine in December 1902

16_zpslmm7ojlo.jpg

Graffiti marking the end of the Second Boer War (1899-1902) (called the Transvaal War in the graffiti) and dated June 1902

15_zpspyq2hysd.jpg

Kettle as can be found anywhere underground in Wiltshire...

13_zpshvhko71c.jpg

And the shoe that is also found anywhere underground

14_zpsg2ftguak.jpg

Looking up the air shaft

11_zpsbmswobsx.jpg

And relaxing on exit

17_zpsdnigfhvy.jpg

Finally here's the injury that warranted an hour of whinging.

18_zpst0ctkxn0.jpg

gigeorge

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cool report. I really need get exploring as there's a wealth of sites within ten miles that I keep reading about but never go to..

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Went searching for this a few weeks ago,the grid refs I had were clearly wrong as we ended up being in the middle of a field

Betuaintgotthis

28DL Member
28DL Member
Not gone in but found it on a quick scout. the location on the map (also on this forum) is pretty much spot on. My recommendation however is to walk around the copse that's next to road rather than through it. Shall be carrying out a full investigation shortly. Also note its stepish through the entrance so if wet like today it'll be slippery. Here's a picture of the entrance for those that wish to see. https://goo.gl/photos/4SMx5zD7EHQ9QAnN7

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Well, middle of a field is roughly where it is. Was there a properly overgrown bit, if so that's where you need to look.

We did have a bit of a search but we're just passing so obviously didn't search hard enough,my phone was dead so couldn't check maps.....ahh well another time