real time web analytics
Report - - Hollybush Mine - Wiltshire - October 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hollybush Mine - Wiltshire - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Hollybush Mine consists of one slope shaft, an air shaft and about two hundred yards of passage. The air shaft would have once been a trial shaft, sunk to test the quality of the stone. It seems that the shaft was sunk in an area where the stone was good so a slope shaft was built. Rails were installed to move the stone and a lot of preparation went into the mine.

It was later found out, the stone was poor and fractured. This meant that it was impossible to cut a large block so it was impossible to economical1y compete with other stone companies. This explains why the mine is so small. Hollybush was closed on December 11th 1902 and rubbish tipped down the slope shaft to cover up the embarrassment. The vertical shaft has been capped leaving no trace on the surface.

The Explore
Visited with @Porker of the night . We had some time to kill before meeting up with a couple other members so thought we would go check this little mine out. I would say it is definitely worth popping your head in, some great little artefacts left behind. There is a section where there's a large pile of bones and it smells like a rotting corpse but once you are past that bit everything is all good o_O

On to the pictures (not many as it is only a small working)

1F_zps1hd0psz0.jpg

3F_zpstwvughsu.jpg

4F_zpstvhnbs2q.jpg

2F_zpsouu8ecwn.jpg

5F_zpscpyblfh8.jpg

6F_zpsnudavgmf.jpg

7F_zpsokhkg67g.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Where's the pic of the pile of bones at matey ,You've wet my appetite telling me about bones i want to see them ;)
And it's nice to see some pics from here don't think ive seen any for quite a while

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Where's the pic of the pile of bones at matey ,You've wet my appetite telling me about bones i want to see them ;)
And it's nice to see some pics from here don't think ive seen any for quite a while

I didn't get any on the camera man I think I was too busy faffing around on my phone taking a video of them :D and that was on snapchat so the video has gone now, doh!

Yeah last person was Bertie in January I do believe :thumb