real time web analytics
Report - - Holme Bank Chert Mine 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holme Bank Chert Mine 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Morgan Ross

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is one from a while back, but thought I'd finally get around to posting some pictures and see if there were any takers for a mooch around some other places around Derbyshire/Staffordshire.

History is well documented, and there are plans etc out there - but a quick overview for anyone new:
Workings started back in 1778 from a small quarry at the top of the hill. Works ceased in 1960 with some production operations carrying on for a couple of years after that.

Access is pretty easy if you know where you're looking, and once inside the majority of the middle section of the mine is easy to get around. The lower sections are now flooded and used by divers due to the nice clear water. Some of the top section is getting a bit sketchy, with evidence of some roof collapses - careful what you touch and lean on.

Plenty of features for anyone who fancies themselves as a bit of a David Bailey, and the slacked stone walling makes for some really interesting pictures.

Anyway, on with the snaps:
Crane 1.jpg

Junction 1b.jpg

Tunnel 2.jpg
Water 1.jpg
Water 2.jpg

Top 1.jpg

Winch 2.jpg

Winch 1.jpg

Ronin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
great stuff looks wicked!

is this like on a hill side? and like Joey said how deep in that water, dose it level out if you get me ?

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The water is deep, so deep that there are diving videos on youtube :) My first ever underground mine venture its amazing how tame it is once you visit more lol

Morgan Ross

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah most of it feels really safe, only a few sections as you make your way to the top from inside which felt a bit dubious - but you can get to these bits from the top and avoid any of the nasty stuff anyway.

It's a nice place to start with, been in some more "interesting" stuff since, but not for public posting I'm affraid...

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've done most of the underground world around bakewell and matlock, happy to join forces if you're in the area. DM me if interested i'd be interested to know of the more interesting sites you are speaking of :) Sure we can exchange a few secrets