real time web analytics
Report - - Holme Bank Chert Mine - Bakewell, on 35mm Film [Dec 16 & Mar 17] | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holme Bank Chert Mine - Bakewell, on 35mm Film [Dec 16 & Mar 17]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
I won't bore you too much with the history as I'm sure every man and has dog have been down here by now... but here's a brief one from my first report from august 2016:

Holme Bank was the last of two operational chert mines in Derbyshire the other being the Pretoria Mine, both at Bakewell. The chert bed lies on a 1 in 3.7 gradient and the mine was subject to flooding in severe winters. Illumination was by mains electricity in addition to carbide lamps carried by the miners.

As I've been down the mine twice with film cameras so far and I've built up a nice little collection of shots I decided it'd be worth making a new report specially for these.
On the first trip (Pics 1-5) I used a Fujica ST605N & Pentacon 29mm 2.8, which turned out to be a bit crap really so I got rid of it, and the second time (Pics 6-11) around I used a Nikon FE & 28mm 3.5. Both times I used Agfa Vista 200, aka poundland film... it really isn't that bad, but getting harder to find now :(

ou0gWXa.jpg

fH9Pazb.jpg

I4LKsTw.jpg

XQVMjFA.jpg

i2HWv3y.jpg

Myu6zup.jpg

Q1E5Iou.jpg

dQuz6dl.jpg

5mhjiZE.jpg

VnMG5jM.jpg

POG18wq.jpg

Thanks for looking! #filmisnotdead​

Last edited:

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Lovely set, what were these taken on?

I mentioned in the post, but the first 5 were taken on a earlier visit with a Fujica ST605N & Pentacon 29mm lens, and the rest were taken on my last visit with a Nikon FE & 28mm f/3.5. I'm really liking the FE so there will be more reports to come :D (which reminds me I do actually have more to post from that camera)

Mobutu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I mentioned in the post, but the first 5 were taken on a earlier visit with a Fujica ST605N & Pentacon 29mm lens, and the rest were taken on my last visit with a Nikon FE & 28mm f/3.5. I'm really liking the FE so there will be more reports to come :D (which reminds me I do actually have more to post from that camera)
oh yeah, not sure how I missed that. I've been looking into an FE for a while now but they just seem really expensive, especially since an F90X body is only about £50

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
oh yeah, not sure how I missed that. I've been looking into an FE for a while now but they just seem really expensive, especially since an F90X body is only about £50

It's a nice camera, way more satisfying to use than a DSLR. They can get pricey but you can find them cheapish still if you look, thankfully the price hasn't gone crazy like the FMs. I got this one for £35, not in mint condition by any means but I got it to use, not to sit on a shelf.

Mobutu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's a nice camera, way more satisfying to use than a DSLR. They can get pricey but you can find them cheapish still if you look, thankfully the price hasn't gone crazy like the FMs. I got this one for £35, not in mint condition by any means but I got it to use, not to sit on a shelf.
That sounds decent, I've got an F90X and a couple of moniltas among other cameras so I've probably got a lens that'll fit. As for what you were saying in the report about film being hard to get hold of, Kodak still do some great 35mm colour stuff (mostly portra in 5 packs) and Lomography has some great colour film in loads of different speeds online

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Nice report chap and it looks like a cracking location. I was just wondering around the locations map looking for stuff and found this - and it has the added bonus of being opposite my favorite brewery!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice photos, I was in Bakewell a few weeks ago but just couldnt convince my Mrs that a mine visit was a good idea, we didnt get past the ice cream van and pasty shop in the end :)