real time web analytics
Report - - Holten Heath Cordite Factory, Poole, Dorset - Jan 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holten Heath Cordite Factory, Poole, Dorset - Jan 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nobby

Beard!
28DL Full Member
Myself and D@ywalker decided to head back after an epic at Cambridge Military Hospital. We decided to drop into Holton Heath Cordite Factory, unfortunately the gippo's had struck and wrecked the place as per usual! In all fairness the site is on the bones of its arse! I will however go down to the underground reservoir and have a play, one side has some old brick pillars as shown in a previous report by Olicat which I think would be good for a bit of light manipulation. Time was getting on so we saved that for another day.

History - The Royal Navy Cordite Factory, Holton Heath, (RNCF), was set up at Holton Heath, Dorset in World War I to manufacture Cordite for the Royal Navy. It was reactivated in World War II to manufacture gun propellants for the Admiralty and its output was supplemented by the Royal Navy Propellant Factory, Caerwent. After the end of World War II, the explosive manufacturing areas of the site were closed down and some areas of the site reopened as an Admiralty Research Establishment. A major part of the explosives site became a Nature Reserve in 1981. Other parts of the site were converted into an Industrial Estate; and some may be used for housing.

A site was needed because Winston Churchill, the First Lord of the Admiralty, insisted that the Royal Navy had their own independent supply of Cordite. The Army was to be supplied with Cordite from the HM Factory, Gretna, at Gretna, Scotland, another remote location. Holton Heath was chosen in 1914 because of its remote location, away from centres of population, and its good transportation links, on a backwater of Poole Harbour, adjacent to the London and South Western Railway,and the A351 Wareham to Poole road.

DSC_1325.jpg

DSC_1322.jpg

DSC_1304.jpg

DSC_1289.jpg

DSC_1292.jpg

DSC_1298.jpg

DSC_1308.jpg

DSC_1329.jpg

DSC_1319.jpg

DSC_1302.jpg

Please note the place isn't littered with needles, there is only the one.....

You see the image, you capture it, you make what you will of it.....you let it tell the story

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: