real time web analytics
Report - - Homer Pressings, Walsall, hidden history | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Homer Pressings, Walsall, hidden history

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Walsall was once as famous for leather as Sheffield for its steel. Saddles, gloves, jackets and wallets etc were all produced in hundreds of works.

Homer pressings made buckles for these leather works. It is a handsome fronted building in the heart of the old leathermaking district of the town.

Homer pressings is a prime example of one of those places that could have been so lame, but with a bit of a closer look revealed gold.
The works was modernised in the 70's by the look of it and it was pretty stripped. Some holes in the floor revealed more history than walking around the whole place could have done.

Under the floors were thouands upon thousands of buckles, in all shapes sizes and materials. Some were Victorian, and were huge, from the days women wore huge thick leather belts. Leaning in a baby changing mat (god knows why that was in there) I managed to stick my arm under the floor and pull out the wads of leather fibre and mass of buckles.

There was also British Motor Corperation leather goods, door straps and other things, in beautiful colours.

I love an old building revealing its history in this way, so I thought it was worth a report...

d2.jpg

d10.jpg

d11.jpg

d12.jpg

d13.jpg

d14.jpg

d15.jpg

d16.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d7.jpg

d8.jpg

d9.jpg

d.jpg

Finally, a bit of fun in Leather country...

d6.jpg