real time web analytics
Report - - Hook Norton (Swerford Park) railway tunnel, Oxfordshire - 2022 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hook Norton (Swerford Park) railway tunnel, Oxfordshire - 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

hhh

28DL Irregular Member
28DL Full Member
The Banbury & Cheltenham Direct Railway was built in three schemes between 1855-87, construction of the final section between Chipping Norton and Banbury did begin until 1873.
Construction schedule over-runs and financial difficulties led to a cessation of construction work in 1877 and work did not restart until 1884, in October 1886 the line had been completed,
a Board of Trade inspection identified a number of safety concerns that had to be addressed before the line could open in April 1887.

The line headed from Chipping Norton to Banbury through the Hook Norton area to take advantage of recently discovered Iron ore deposits, but the landscape was more challenging and costly to build a railway - an easier route would have been through Swerford or the Sibfords. At Chipping Norton is a long tunnel (715 yards), near Hook Norton a shorter tunnel (418 yards) and deep cutting and two viaducts.

Hook Norton tunnel is approached on both sides by cuttings, the Northern cutting is particular deep and both are prone to landslips.
The tunnel is brick throughout, each end has been blocked by concrete block walls with apertures for bats to fly through. Metal doors at both ends allow access for maintenance and inspection. Only one area of the tunnel has any significant water ingress, forming calcite formations on the walls, some bricks have been removed from the lining to allow the water to escape more easily. For about 30 yards inside the south portal spray concrete has been applied to the walls which is peeling itself off.

1. South portal

2. Spray concrete inside southern portal

3. The one area of calcite formations on the walls

4. Calcite bottle

5. Much of the floor is covered with calcite, where it lies on top of ballast it is quite solid in other areas it has formed as a crust over mud it is broken by feet walking through

6. Calcite lightning

7. Anyone seen my other flip flop?

8. Bat bricks inside the Northern portal, You can see the calcite tide mark of where the water normally is.

9. North Portal - inside

10. Northern Portal - exterior. Brick permanent way hut outside tunnel entrance.

I've been visiting this location occasionally for over 30 years, I can remember when the tunnel was not bricked up, since I've been of an age when I could visit places without the parents this has always been welded or locked shut when I have visited.

Thanks for taking the time to look

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some cracking shots there! :thumb I'll be passing by this in the next couple of weeks, so a detour to see if it's still open methinks

Who has read this thread (Total: 235) View details