real time web analytics
Report - - Horncliffe House, Rossendale Sept 15 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Horncliffe House, Rossendale Sept 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Built in 1869 by Mr Henry Hoyle Hardman who was the son of George Hardman. Henry died in 1888 but his wife Emily continued to live there until she died a few years later in 1896. The house passed to Annie Hardman, and she lived there until about 1903. The house and its contents were then sold to a Mr. Roland Rawlinson.

Lancashire County Council operated a care home for the elderly at the house until some time in the 1980s. The home was sold in 1993 and was turned into a hotel and function venue. The company that owned the property was dissolved on June 2009 and the hotel was closed.

Another weekend, another soaked rotten house.

Cat had expressed an interest in this, which meant I had an excuse to venture back to mill country, and plus the house was built by a mill owner, and so I figured it would be great to see what the men who made all that money on cotton spent it on!

Well, Mr Hardman obviously had plenty of dough to spend on his pad. Fine plaster ceilings in all the downstairs rooms, Minton and parquet floors in abundance and a hall of a skylight over the rather grand staircase.

There was some fine wood carving above the fire place in one room, above what was obviously meant to be 'secret' cupboards disguised as paneling.

The whole place is rotten as a bugger, tumbling down from every corner. However it looks like some floors have been removed recently rather than collapsing on their own. Hard to believe it has been derelict for only 6 years!

DSC_0096_zpsfqu29vao.jpg

DSC_0002_zpswto0xp3y.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsogtcktb6.jpg
DSC_0014_zpsugnzjf7l.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsc2gjnvlj.jpg

DSC_0069_zpspvu8xpmb.jpg
DSC_0071_zpsulsliiuy.jpg

DSC_0013_zpst8mtgsnx.jpg

DSC_0019_zpswphcqq1h.jpg

DSC_0023_zpshvbu01xw.jpg
DSC_0032_zpssvhzyaoz.jpg

DSC_0031_zps9eunbe8l.jpg

DSC_0039_zpsw2djoqnb.jpg
DSC_0041_zpsy3zg5rjc.jpg

DSC_0059_zpsa13kseal.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsvrfct0el.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsonirrjfx.jpg

DSC_0044_zpsxzlrdoa9.jpg
DSC_0051_zpsoldhfd0x.jpg

DSC_0090_zpswxucq3av.jpg

DSC_0075_zpspsi7zviz.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsk8pe7cdc.jpg
DSC_0057_zpsgxli3lqh.jpg

DSC_0076_zpslrrchjfr.jpg

DSC_0086_zps7s2pzdso.jpg

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
You have a keen eye for detail. Even in this state with the floors missing you've managed to capture more that most earlier reports.

Did anyone ever get into the smaller building by the jags?

The building on the left, unfortunately the best shot I have of it.
IMG_9178_zpsx3nq7t8v.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
This is what it's about. You can see plenty of rotting crapped-out Jags down the local scrapyard.

You captured the details nicely there mate, nice work.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Totally agree this is photographed very well indeed. Considering its in a bad ish state. And the building at side not sure anyone been in there thats probably why asked. When i was there that building was bricked up and swampy so hard to get round. But thats probably changed now. Maybe one day we will see pics from there. Its been a while to see pics from inside here so who knows. Thats a mystery for another day.

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Totally agree this is photographed very well indeed. Considering its in a bad ish state. And the building at side not sure anyone been in there thats probably why asked. When i was there that building was bricked up and swampy so hard to get round. But thats probably changed now. Maybe one day we will see pics from there. Its been a while to see pics from inside here so who knows. Thats a mystery for another day.

Firstly thanks for replying to my post correctly.
The building "surrounded by Jags" looked like it was of the same era, might of had some of the same decor inside. Like you say, might see some pictures of it one day.

J27

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went in to the building at the side the other day, I didn't take many pics in there, but there are car seats, tools and various cupboards etc on the ground floor, the first floor is completely empty and so is the cellar apart from an oil can. I will try and upload the pics later.

J27

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went in to the building at the side the other day, I didn't take many pics in there, but there are car seats, tools and various cupboards etc on the ground floor, the first floor is completely empty and so is the cellar apart from an oil can. I will try and upload the pics later.
Sorry I can't find a way of rotating the pictures, so the first and last one are on their side.
IMG_3895ab0b8.jpg

IMG_389451bef.jpg

IMG_3893185e9.jpg

Garyjayuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow, this place brings back many memories when I was a function DJ back in the 1990s. Did many a wedding there, but it was always in a marque at the side of the building.

Never realised it had closed down. Funny how things pass you by.....

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
good report mate, I visited here in 2013 but couldnt get access so took the usual pictures of the jags and the function room. Was passing last week and managed to pop in, amazing how bad the building has become now, proper unsafe flooring, walls bowing out, pretty much getting ready to fall in on itself. going the same way as Winstanley hall by the looks of it.