Web
Analytics
Report - - Horton lodge - Aug 17 - Surrey | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Horton lodge - Aug 17 - Surrey

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
F6q7eeg.jpg

Horton lodge
26th august 2017

History
First mentioned formally in 1768 on John Rocques map, horton lodge (later named hollywood lodge) served as rich housing till it was repurposed as part of West park asylum, making this building part of the infamous epsom cluster.
The Manor of Horton, as it was named in a 15th Century charter, belonged to the Abbey of Chertsey. It passed through many hands and in the 17th century came to Elizabeth Evelyn, She survived both her husband and her children and left The Manor to a distant relative, Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore. Charles' daughter, Louisa was married from Horton Lodge, Epsom on 13 May 1762 to John Browning. It passed down the Baltimore family.
'Horton manor' and all its land was sold at one point during 1730/1 for 5 shillings (25p!)

The last baltimore heir, Hon Louisa browning died at age 88 in horton lodge on the 1st december 1821, all the contents of her house were then sold to the public for 6d each, no matter what it was (2.5p!)
The rest of its history was loosely documented with no notable events up till around 1960 where it became part of west park hospital and in 2005 where it unfortunately fell victim to arsonists, setting fire to the floor, collapsing the roof and most of the walls, a sad end to a very old building with a hefty legacy, leaving a brick shell containing little but history.

Photo from 2004, months before it was burnt to the ground

HollywoodLodgeSummer2004ByGeoffreyStone.jpg

Photos, account of events
Ripped my bike out of my derelict shed and painfully cycled a few hours around the epsom cluster, scouting 5 google map derps, i was very pleased to see the burnt out timber of what once was the roof, sticking out from above the trees as i cycled past.
Was also a blessing to not have to climb my way in, my legs couldnt take it

orXFLCz.jpg

This site is different to other sites, its beautiful in its own way, the vandalism and extreme decay have ruined the heart of this building, yet its outer walls still stand strong

R0PaqZL.jpg

o1A37Xx.jpg

YBsl64f.jpg

tNWrjoI.jpg

3DVGuYF.jpg

zL3bkji.jpg

k09M9YX.jpg

DReeP5a.jpg

t3EtcT7.jpg

tKJ5Gn1.jpg

VQlchJX.jpg

This is my favoutite picture from the visit, the quote next to the open window revealing the green, with the burnt timber in the foreground creates a sense of escape from decay

3RWQBDQ.jpg

That concludes horton lodge, or hollywood lodge, its a shame the site is in such a shape but it had a beautiful history and was wonderful for photography, and as it had yetto be reported on this site i felt the need to share its wonder with you all
Hope you enjoyed​

BIG_G

28DL Member
28DL Member
This looks like a cool location to visit, hope to be going here soon.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
revisited recently with my dslr, here are some updated pictures of the site, things are being kicked down and moved around daily
I4mmrSQ.jpg

JmksWrL.jpg

GobLtWY.jpg

TgEdr3h.jpg

FBjxppr.jpg

I9GaMJL.jpg

FBj2NJ3.jpg

SAiHJVT.jpg

Rrw0jkm.jpg

zy8haa0.jpg

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Update :
Gypsys have disposed of about 12 horses on the land now, they didnt bother us too much as theres acres of empty land on the site. Never knew i was scared of horses untill this :D
rCqpot2.jpg